ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NAQCC recognizes this for their contests -

First of all, an explanation of why we feel antennas need to be classified. Nowadays in contests, DXing, and chasing awards, often a QRPer will feed his 5 watts transmitter output into a high gain antenna that boosts the 5 watts to a much higher ERP. In the case of an antenna with a gain of 13DB, the effective radiated power will be very close to 100 watts.

Let's state right now, we have no objection whatsoever against QRPers who use high gain antennas, just as we have no objections to hams who use QRO or other modes besides CW.

What we do object to is that virtually all ham clubs and organizations make no distinction at all between QRPers running close to 5 watts ERP and those QRPers running much higher ERP's from their high gain antennas. Thus the QRPer, who for one reason or other, uses minimal antennas stands no chance of competing in a contest at the same level as the QRPer with the high gain antennas. Also those QRPers who earn DXCC or other awards with their minimal antennas are lumped right in with the QRPer with the high gain antennas. We feel that is not fair either, as it was much more difficult to earn the award for the minimal antenna QRPer.

The NAQCC is going to address this matter by having contests with categories based on the type of antenna used. The minimal antenna QRPer will only compete against other minimal antenna QRPers, and the ham with the high gain antennas will only compete against others in the same situation. We heartily invite the QRPer with the high gain antennas to compete in our contests as long as they realize they will only be competing against others with similar high gain antennas.

NAQCC also recognizes the advantage of key type, with a multiplier of 2 for a straight key, 1.5 for a bug, and 1 for paddles or a keyboard.

SKCC offers QRP awards, but I don't believe they address antenna type. QRPx1 is the easier of the two, with the other operator running >5 watts, and QRPx2 is with both operators running 5w. (It is permitted for the answering station to be >5w initially, but he must reduce power to 5w and perform a successful exchange of SKCC numbers for the QSO to count toward the QRPx2 award.)

I guess its all fun, but the playing field isn't always level. ;)

KA0HCP, KI4QYI and AG5DB like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a can of worms that didn't need opening.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of like life.

What about station and antenna location?

What about operator experience?

What about operator's free time available?

What about equipment complexity/fortitude?

And on, and on, and on...

...it just depends on how far (and crazy) people are willing to go to level the playing field. There comes a point where leveling the playing field becomes counter-productive and actually detracts from the fun of it all. Don't believe that? Check out the rules for various contests for examples of analysis paralysis.

KD8ZM and KC9UR like this.
  4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't mean to imply that I thought playing fields should be level.

I simply found it interesting that at least one organization tried to address the simple wire antenna vs. gain antenna issue, as it related to whether someone was actually playing QRP by "the rules".

I caved in and bought a QRP amplifier, to get to the de-facto standard 100 watts. But I don't log those QSO's as QRP, as that wouldn't be fair.

WW2PT likes this.
  5. KI4QYI

KI4QYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of very interesting info here. Thanks for doing the research and posting!

6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great question, one I’ve thought about for a while in the context of contesting. Ultimately, I think it doesn’t really matter. “Fairness” is arbitrary in this hobby anyway, because no two stations can ever be equal.

In contests, I compete against myself and measure my own success (or failure) according to the equipment I use and the conditions that exist at the time. If some op with a KX2 and acres of stacked monobanders beats me with my KX2 and an end fed wire, well, good for him. He’s doing exactly what he wants to do in the hobby, just like me. That’s all that matters.

F8WBD and WN1MB like this.
  7. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you give up on QRP? QRP is the ultimate test of your skill as an amateur radio operator, I embrace QRP, anyone can work the world with 1.5kw and a tower with a stacked array, talk to me when you do it with 5 watts or less, that is sheer skill.

N1OOQ and WN1MB like this.
  8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I only have so much money. QRP keeps it simple and fun. A tower with a stacked array takes away so much freedom in more ways then one. I dont have much money in my station, and I can pick up and operate from anywhere in very little time.

N1OOQ, WW2PT, F8WBD and 1 other person like this.
  9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if my 625' horizontal loop would be considered high-gain QRP "cheating," or not, under such a regime?

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah...lets have awards for those who can only commit 5 minutes to a contest!

Before you respond to this proposal please note that I am being facetious.