ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP cw seems easy, at least it is with a good antenna.
    QRP voice is not so easy if you want DX, local stuff on 80 and 40 meters works just fine.
    I wish I never sold my Wilderness radio Sierra, or my KX2...

KI4QYI likes this.
  2. KI4QYI

KI4QYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jeff. I built that K1 myself and I am not sure I could sell it. I can use my Kenwood TS-480 SAT if I am desperate for contacts, works well as a base station except on CW 40 meters with strong signals present such as W1AW. Big time front end overload and useless within 3 khz of that 20 over signal. There is so much satisfaction making contacts with pieces of wire and fishing line over limbs though. What a contrast with those big desks full of expensive radio equipment! I think the enjoyment is about the same, each to their own in this wonderful hobby!

3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I go out and set up the radio
    If I make a contact, great. If not, I read the mail or just enjoy the day outside.

Working Qrp is part of an experience. QRO and a fixed antenna to make contacts is no challenge for me, so, QRp is the most fun now.

KC3RN and WN1MB like this.
  4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like fly fishing. ;)

K2ZA and WN1MB like this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a very bottom shelf setup, ft817 and end fed wire antenna running vertical. (But a short run of coax) I am at 820ft at the bottom of a deep valley on the Columbia river. I have worked nothing but SSB at five watts on 20meters since Dec 2017. Many days of the SFI in the 60s, but I have had some great contacts. It is a bit like fishing, Its slow going right now. In the last three weeks the only person I been able to work is Dick the net control on the Maritime net. But the SFI is at 75 today and I am hopeful. I have a feeling we will see the SFI starting to climb. So be encouraged, and know it wont be too long before things open a little. It doesn't take much.

Please keep the K1 I hear many who built them and sold them and end up using they still had their K1 back.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    K2ZA likes this.
  6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The fun of QRP is just making the contact at all. How low can you go? How simple can your station be? Skill is a factor.

For everyday ragchewing, 50-100W or more.

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Said Vince!
    My QRP operating is 99% from home. Have a classic '87 Toyota Mini-Cruiser class C motor home in the works though.
    Yes, turn down the output to 5w or even less with the "big rigs", no shame there!
    My Novice TX rigs on the rocks get an attenuator added or run them in "Tune" mode for QRP.

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.
    Enjoy QRP.
    72 / 73

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

200' of RG8x? Mismatch line loss is adding up for you(?)
    May be best to run 300 ohm TV Twin or ladder line to a transmatch if you can.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Many fish bites if you got good bait Here's a little tip that I would like to relate "

Goin Fishin Blues