ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Theres an antenna that wouldnt cost me much to build. I already have the wire, but well no land LOL. But this is one of my favorite antennas. I would love to hear you on it some time.

KD8ZM likes this.
  2. SP5RZM

SP5RZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you right. I think like you.

3. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom, Have you tried the Sunrise Net on 7123 at 9AM daylight savings time. Might be something to try.....
    They also have a web site you can have a look at.....73's, Ken W2GIW

4. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, have you tried the Sunrise net on 7123? 9AM DST. Check their web site....Ken...W2GIW

5. KI4QYI

KI4QYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just two issues - 7123 is below the frequencies allowed on my General ticket. and... 9 AM is before my rising time! But thank you for the suggestion. Us oldies do need our beauty sleep, you know.

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're doing all your 40m CW above 7123 theres the problem.
    I have best luck on 40 before 10 AM and after around 5 PM.
    I had real good RBN results on 30m yesterday afternoon with my 3 watts from the MTR-3b.
    Only 2 QSOs tho.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. KI4QYI

9. KI4QYI

Silly me. I just looked at that green cw bar graph that goes down to 7175. My favorite frequencies are 7.030, 7.040, and 7.060 and thereabouts. I just don't hear as much activity above 7.110 but I need to spend more time in that region when it is slower down below.
    It is real encouraging that you were heard on the RBN with only 3 watts. Bravo!

10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not giving up on QRP, but I don't understand why at certain times, it's hard to get a return call. About 20 minutes ago I called for a while on 40 (7030, mostly) and despite the fact I get RBN readings of between 7 dB (Germany) and 28 dB (New England), no one answers.

Possible causes:
    Bad sending (not in this case, my CQ was being sent automatically by the KX3).
    Sending too fast (nope, only 17 wpm)
    Sending too slow (17-20 is pretty average for most, which is why I send at those speeds)
    Everyone is at dinner, which is my XYL's theory (could everyone really be at dinner all over the eastern US?)

I had perfectly fine results with QRP during the day today, but tonight, nothing, despite the fact that the RBN readings are about the same.
    Are there other causes I'm not thinking of? Do ops move somewhere else on the band during the evening hours?
    Brady