ad: KF7PMW-1

re-stuffing multisection capacitors

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W5INC, Mar 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5INC

    W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    What is the preferred method for opening up the metal can? Pipe cutter, hack saw, the "Ginsu" or some other method? With as small as electrolytic capacitors have become, re-stuffing these multisection caps might be the way to go. It will keep the radio in the plug and play mode for the most part. Not having to rewire the factories wiring harness and keep it looking somewhat original. A lot of older multisection caps are being made once again by C&E and some folks over in DL land, F&T I believe. You can buy the individual caps to stuff in the older metal cans pretty cheap, compared to the prefabbed newer pieces of today. Any re-stuffers in the Forum here?
     
  2. WA6SW

    WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

    I turned the cap upside-down and clamped it loosely into a machinist vise where I could rotate it smoothly in one position. Then I set it on my drill press and used a Dremel cut off wheel positioned near the seam and turned the cap until it scored the entire circumference. After each pass I would reposition it closer until it cut through.
    Hope this helps.
     
    KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

    KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    KA9JLM likes this.
  4. K8CCA

    K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

    I find the Rigid pipe cuter works fine and makes no shavings to clean up. Little heatgun action to loosen the tar and pop it out in the trash. I much prefer to just install a new Hayseed hamfest one, unless there lot's of space to just mount'em under the chassis.

    I bought aluminum tape to tape it back up when I do re-stuff'em.
     
    K3XR likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

    KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

    If you want to keep them looking original, Check for the dimples near the crimps.

    Normally they will have about 4 real deep crimps near the tabs.

    Use something to bend them out until they release.

    Enjoy the smell.
     
  6. KP4SX

    KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    I usually cut out the bottom insulator to remove the guts. That way you preserve the physical integrity of the can and its mount. Run insulated wires from the individual caps as required and seal it up with _______________ (fill in your favorite goop).
    You may have to add a terminal strip if your new leads can't easily go to a tie point but they usually will.
    Use those little skinny Panasonic caps from Mouser that are about the diameter of a pencil.
    Often there's an audio output cathode bypass in the can. Put a new one where it belongs and skip that one in the can.
     
  7. WB2GCR

    WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

    Ideally, I put the can in a lathe and carefully machine off the bent over part of the can
    that holds the phenolic base in place. Going back in, it gets epoxy to hold it back and looks stock.

    This can be done with hand tools, but you'd have to look carefully at the bottom of the can
    to see what you can manage. The alumin um is thin and soft.
     
  8. W5INC

    W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    KC8VWM likes this.
  9. K8CCA

    K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

    Here's how I re-stuffed the 220uF @450V volt caps for an old Heathkit Scope, Unfortunately this was only a single section cap, but multi-sections are the same, they usually fit these days.

    First I pop the cardboard top
    [​IMG]

    Then I cut the aluminum with a pipe cutter
    [​IMG]

    With a little heat from heat gun, I slide the aluminum top off and reveal the cap inside
    [​IMG]

    I then clean the base and drill a couple holes for the wires.
    [​IMG]

    I used Snap caps for these as they where cheaper, so I add wires to extend the leads
    [​IMG]

    Slide the leads thru the base to mount the cap, taking note of polarity of course.
    [​IMG]

    Here's a view of the new leads from the bottom
    [​IMG]

    I decided to fill the bottom with hot glue to give support for the snap cap inside
    [​IMG]

    I then tapes the two halves together with alum tape and replaced the cardboard sleeve.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    All in all it's fun to re-stuff.

    73!
    Eric
    K8CCA
     
    W1TRY and KE4OH like this.
  10. WB2GCR

    WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

    Most don't have the cardboard tube, which is why I'd not cut them in the middle of
    the can... YMMV.
     

Share This Page