Re purpose Icom IC 745 for SDR radio

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by WA4WPQ, Jan 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4WPQ

WA4WPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

(New Ham) Looking for thoughts on using an IC 745 with a bad RF output section as front end of pan tap / SDR receiver. I am interested in experimenting with the technology. I was hoping that the 745 could be repaired but now I am looking for FT450D to engage my HF needs. It's my understanding that the 745 is a great receiver and I have had the service done to it to restore it's functionally. Both the FT450 and the IC745 use the same 70 Mhz tap for SDR receiver, my question is which radio would be the best candidate? Would I find better use with a working transceiver radio to apply the SDR info or build as stand alone receiver.
    Carl
    WA4WPQ

2. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want an SDR receiver only, use the 745. If you want a panadapter on a working transceiver, use the FT450. For receive only, the 745 will do just fine, as the IF tap is taken right off the 1st mixer, before any filtering, etc. The circuitry principle in both is probably very similar at this stage.

Max
    VE3TMT

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

On Ebay, you can find bandpass filter units (160M-10M) for a rather cheap price. Fix the rig & sell it to fund the SDR addiction.... Trust me on this.
    If you can find a bad FT-857D main unit, I can help you control it for TX/RX with an Arduino.

Ed

4. WA4WPQ

WA4WPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could get the IC 745 working, there is a thread on the issue from my tech https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-745-pa-unit.607633/ Several folks have contributed but we are still lacking a solution. I'm looking for an affordable HF transceiver to get on the air, I have FTDX3000 dreams on a FT450D budget! I'm intrigued by your FT857D idea but I'm worried about buying someones problem.
    Thanks, Carl

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the LimeSDR USB (100 Khz to 3.8Ghz full duplex). I am using it with the 857 PA/filter board. to get bandpass/100/40/20W HF/VHF/UHF.
    You can also look at some of the Ebay bandpass filters from Russia & Isreal. Pretty decent.

Ed