Re: Politics,rants and raves!!!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I locked down the thread because it degenerated into a name-calling fisaco, not because of the original topic if you are talking about the freebanding thread.

As far as your information being available, when you acquired your amateur radio license the information was entered into a Federal database. This, by law, is public information and is subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). I don't know if you realize it, but your driver's license information is also public information and your individual state must the information about you available to anyone who asks. The same thing goes for any type of license or professional certification, the information is public record. Frankly, call sign information has been available in published form since the 1920s. The "Callbook" and its predecessors have been publishing calls, names, and addresses for almost 80 years. Also, the information on you is available directly from the FCC for the "asking".

In this day of the exchange of personal data by commercial interests, an operation like QRZ.com is the least of your worries. Every time you use a credit card, make a telephone call, write a cheque, check out a library book, even go grocery shopping (with all of the "discount" cards that supermarket chains are using now), your information is entered into a database and, like it or not, that information is bought and sold on the "open" market.

By the way, I am not one of the editors of QRZ.com and don't have access to the database. I have enough worries trying to keep some sort of civilization in these forums! As I have said before, please keep your comments free of personal attacks and profanity (i.e. "PG" is OK, "R" and "X" are not). You are a guest on QRZ.com, you do not have a "right" to be here. I personally do not agree with a lot of what is posted in the way of topics. But, as long as it is kept "clean", I have no problems with the threads. However, start getting personal or profane, then I WILL do whatever it takes to "clean up" your act!

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.