ad: Flexradio-1

Raspberry Pi Zero W announced

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W0RIO, Feb 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

The Raspberry Pi folks have announced a new miniature version of the Raspberry Pi
    single board Linux computer, the model Zero W. The board costs $10.
    This version adds Bluetooth and 802.11n wireless connectivity, which can eliminate the
    need for an external USB hub. Here's the official announcement:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family/ RPIZeroW.png
    Here's the feature list:
    • 1GHz, single-core CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • Mini-HDMI port
    • Micro-USB On-The-Go port
    • Micro-USB power
    • HAT-compatible 40-pin header
    • Composite video and reset headers
    • CSI camera connector
    • 802.11n wireless LAN
    • Bluetooth 4.0

AD5KO, KK5JY and WB5THT like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cool. :)

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazing.

4. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what the computation power of this is in Apollo Moon mission units?

W7UUU and KK6ZLF like this.
  5. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Advancing miniaturization never ceases to amaze me.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Shucks, I could practically replace my brain with this. :)

7. AB2YC

AB2YC Guest QRZ Page

They are a slick little device.

I have a few Raspberry Pi's running various things around here (DNS Server, Time Server etc)

AD5KO likes this.
  8. KZ6TOD

KZ6TOD Ham Member QRZ Page

If only you could find it for $10. People are Price gouging the crap out of it. Wanted to pick up 2 of these but will need to wait tell the price comes back down to $10.

9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering the ACG had a running frequency of 2Mhz (though it was split into two 1Mhz cycles and those were split into two 512khz cycles for different things) and the Broadcom BCM2835 CPU can clock up to 1Ghz. I would say a lot. Not only that, the Broadcom BCM2835 CPU is far more instruction efficient per cycle than the AGC CPU.

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I imagine it's worth it even at the most gouged prices

11. KAROLSMITH

KAROLSMITH QRZ Member

Nice....

12. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

The "Pi" in most any form is pretty cool and very capable. There is a ham across the county from me who uses them for all sorts of stuff.... running model trains, Christmas light display control, etc.

I have one at home connected to my UHF DVAP, and that in itself is (albeit rather basic) a very efficient way to use one.

13. KD8CGF

KD8CGF Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one at the MicroCenter in Mayfield Hts OH last week. You have to ask for yours in person at the cashier's. They do not keep the tiny boards where "sticky" hands can abscond with them. A single unit of the wireless version was $10 plus tax. If you want to buy more than one, the price per unit goes up, fast. That is to discourage the scalpers from buying everything in stock so they can re-sell them at an inflated price.
    I fool around with them, but haven't done much substantial. The first mod I always do is install xrdp, and then set the Pi up to be controlled from a Windows laptop running Remote Desktop Connection through my home WiFi network. That way I don't need to attach a keyboard or monitor to the Pi in order to work with its full GUI. The latest version of RaspBian Jessie did interfere with my usual installation of xrdp. There was a reasonable workaround once I found it online.

14. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my Pi at Micro Center for about $35.00 and got the Model Zero W for $1.00 up to ten units. Should have bought 9 more...