RASA proposes 60m trial in VK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the key phrase in the whole discussion.

A fact that very few radio amateurs know about is that a national Spectrum Authority is in no way obliged to implement an international amateur radio frequency allocation in their rules.

This applies even if the allocation should be exclusive in the Article 5 "Table of Frequency Allocations".

The only thing that they cannot do is to make national allocations that actively disrupt the operation of international safety services, such as making allocations in the aeronautical VHF/AM band for broadcasting.

So, if the ACMA, or for that matter any Administration, decides that a certain part of spectrum would be better used for commercial or military use instead for amateur radio, it does not violate any international or national rules by doing so.

I have not followed the preparatory work about 5 MHz in Region 3 before the WRC-15, but in Region 1 there was considerable opposition from a few CEPT countries that ultimately resulted in the 15 W EIRP power limit, as well as the possibility of those not implementing 5 MHz in their national allocation tables.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

2. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bonnie,

Congratulations on your diligence and support externally for your Australian Cousins (such as me) out here. It is this type of championing for progress that we need.

As I have stated there is FAR TOO MUCH NEGATIVITY and TROLLING of individuals in Amateur Radio here in Australia (i.e. just look at the "Amateur (HAM) Radio Australia" Facebook group).

If all us VK's all worked TOGETHER rather than arguing about this that and whose ego takes responsibility for dealing with our regulator - and who gets the cuedos for their job resume - then we would have this over by now. Sorry - but this is what is occurring here in Australia now. The nastiness and bitterness is just insane ....

The facts are that RASA have put forward an on-paper proposal that caters for all the pro and con argument raised here. Ask RASA for it. The WIA have also lobbied. Ask them for minutes of public meetings and correspondence that they have had on the issue. Work with unquestionable FACT and have SOLUTIONS - there is a lot of blind uninformed conjecture even in this thread. Good proposals and approaches have been made with supportive documentation put in the hands of the ACMA.

What I have stated is that as much representation and as much POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT as possible for achieving a positive gain for Australian (and hence International) Amateurs is nothing but constructive.

Congratulations Bonnie, and please keep up the great work supporting us Amateurs here in Australia.

[ And yes I am actively working on the 60m issue here in the background - but not knocking and trolling; I am trying to knock some unifying, positive sensibility into Australian Amateurs as well ! ].

Steve I

KQ6XA likes this.
  3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

The converse also applies. In the UK Ofcom allows us eleven bandlets that in total is about five times bigger than the international band, and we can use a lot more power, too, yet we cannot use the middle part of the international band as it is a channel reserved for other use. In other words they can be more generous as well as less generous, and in this case both!

4. SM0AOM

Any Administration can at its discretion invoke Article 4.4 in the Radio Regulations, which was used for the first incarnation of 5 MHz amateur radio use, and which also forms the formal justification for the 70 MHz allocation in the UK.

Generally speaking the usage profiles for HF differ greatly between the ITU regions, but a general observation is that incumbent users are extremely reluctant to give up "their" spectrum, especially to "irrelevant" users such as amateur radio.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed - almost as reluctant as some radio amateurs are to ask for more!:) Despite this, in 2005 Ofcom gave us five channels despite rumoured objections from the military, and the following year increased it to seven channels, and now we have 71 kHz in eleven bandlets. Some administrations are clearly more generous than others, but if we can gain 71 kHz of spectrum from other users, when for instance our military are three times more numerous than in Australia, then surely they could shoehorn in at least one channel in VK!

6. SM0AOM

A quite wide-spread opinion around the spectrum management officials at least in Europe is that radio amateurs already have far too much spectrum they do not use, but still are clamoring for more.

Also, the "spectrum needs" are questioned on the grounds that amateur radio does not promise anything such as capacity or "Quality of Service", and consequently does not "need" any spectrum.

Just recently has this been brought up during the CEPT preparations for WRC-19, where a working group within WG-FM assigned the Swiss Administration with the task of examining the IARU claims for an extension of the current European allocation of 50-52 MHz to 54 MHz, founded on alleged spectrum congestion. It turned out that the current traffic load on the existing spectrum justified at the most an allocation of a few hundred kHz, even with peak factors from openings and contests factored in.

I am quite convinced that similar studies are conducted "behind the scenes" in more than just the Swiss Administration.

The "bargaining position" for amateur radio has not been so weak in recent times.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

7. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Karl-Arne,

That argument is not a factor any more for Australia in this situation.
    2 years ago, they quietly added the Amateur Allocation of 60 metres for Australia.
    Most Australian hams didn't notice it.
    They should be celebrating, because this was a big step forward.

It appears that the only bit missing for Australia is for ACMA to publish new internal Amateur rules and regulations that include the 60 metre band.

The Australia telecom regulator (ACMA) has already added 5351.5-5366.5 kHz as Amateur in their new domestic Australian Table of Allocations.

This new domestic Australia allocation for Amateur is in addition to the Amateur allocation in the international Table, Column 1, for ITU Regions 1, 2, 3.
    See column 2 of the ACMA document issued in January 2017:
    http://hflink.com/5mhz/Australia_Ra..._Plan_2017_ACMA_Table_of_Allocations_5MHz.jpg
    [​IMG]

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate your knowledgeable posts regarding frequency allocations, but my gosh they are so completely depressing!

9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Currently Australia WIA/WICEN has a registered licence commercial channel at 5355.0 kHz USB.
    It is within the international ITU 60m ham band.
    It could be suggested that the 5355.0 kHz USB channel be made into an Australian nation-wide "Interoperability Channel".

I would love to take credit for this idea, but it is not a new idea:)
    Several other nations have similar Interoperability Channel(s) at 5 MHz for communication between Amateur, government services, and other various types of organisations in case of emergency or disasters.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. SM0AOM

Spectrum management is a quite depressing business, now since the "bean-counters" have got the upper hand.

The reason why I write these posts is that radio amateurs are benefited by having a more clear picture of what is going on inside the deregulated Administrations where the real value of amateur radio is discussed among the bureaucrats.

I am writing this sitting on a train on my way home from a meeting of the Swedish National Committee for Radio Science, where one of the agenda items has been the opinion of the Committee of a consultation from the Government that every radio user, receiver or transmitter, should be billed a price which is in proportion to the "value to society",
    so users that are not profitable should reduce their spectrum utilisation.

This has caused some distress among the space physicists and radio astronomers.

Amateur radio was not mentioned in other ways than passing by saying that amateurs cannot expect anything more but very narrow slices in attractive parts of spectrum without paying market prices.

"Brave new world"

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM