Radios in the movies

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0OKS, May 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just saw some Baofeng UV-5R radios in Designated Survivor (SE2 Ep 16). It seems that in Hollywood (or rather Vancouver where the show is filmed) the FBI uses Baofeng radios... Even the bomb squad guy has one on his chest!

Being in the film business myself I get that authenticity often goes out the window for believe-ability by a general viewership. I just thought fellow hams would get a kick out of it.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's from the "props" dept. If things go wrong, It's cheaper to replace a Baofeng than a YaeComWood...:eek::rolleyes:

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about Vancouver, but around here police use $1,500 Motorola HTs. Tax dollars hard at work...

K9ASE likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the best examples of ham gear used in film was the original Die Hard with Bruce Willis.

It was so great that his little handheld Kenwood (and Hans Gruber's also) could operate full duplex on the same channel, as they could interrupt each other mid-syllable. It was also amusing that their Kenwood 2m HT's also worked CB and the police frequencies. Someone on that production was a ham with a sense of humor.

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

..check it out: CW in tv and film.

Even "The Greatest American Hero" 1st season in an early episode has CW.

6. AC1GX

AC1GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hard to beat the infamous KDK12.

7. K5SPP

K5SPP Ham Member QRZ Page

You want truth and accuracy? Imagine how expensive cable/satellite, or going to the movies would be if that happens! :D

8. WA9SVD

:confused:
    But are they in the movie business?

9. WA9SVD

For that matter, who amoungst the "unwashed masses" save for a few sharp-eyed hams would even know or CARE?:confused::rolleyes:

N5PAR likes this.
  10. WJ0TX

WJ0TX Ham Member QRZ Page

It only lasted for two seasons but I think Jericho had a new coded CW message in their opening credits each week.