ad: UR5CDX-1

Radioddity GD-77 DMR Dual Band Handheld Review/Overview

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Oct 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

The name might turn you off from the previous model such as the GD-55, however this unit is different. It IS true Tier2, it is dual band, and AFFORDABLE.. MD380 and 390 are great and affordable, but this gives you 2 bands, and just a whole new radio over the TYT series. The video will explain about the radio, and a short on air demo. No color screen, but a fully functioning radio at a good price nontheless. Link is in the description of the video for purchase.

SUBSCRIBE to HRC

Attached Files:

K2NCC likes this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting radio!!! Can't beat the price point for the features. I currently have an MD-380 and love it. Only have UHF DMR in the area where I am but if that changes might have to take a look. Great review.

4. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I'd stay aware from Radioditty. These are the clowns that cooked their own firmware that made a non-TDMA radio sorta work with DMR repeaters. Problem was it jammed both time slots, as it wasn't TDMA (uses a HC3000 chip instead of HC5000)

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13082
    https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/56b688/radioddity_gd55_dmr_ht_consumer_alert/

Other options include:

HT's:
    AnyTone D868UV (AT-D868UV)
    TYT MD-2017
    Radioddity GD-77
    Retevis-RT82
    Ailunce HD1

Mobile:
    TYT MD-9600

AD0JA likes this.
  5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a GD-77 for about four months now and have no issues whatsoever. There is a Facebook group that regularly gets input from the company with firmware updates on a regular basis. I use mine with a Zumspot and Pi Zero W and had many QSO's around the globe and received excellent audio reports on all. I can also use it on the local analog repeaters without issue. I paid $86.99 USD, and don't regret it for one minute.

6. KA1AAA

KA1AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

But is it FCC Type accepted ?

K5VOU likes this.
  7. ND9H

ND9H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the issue that it doesn't decode my MMDVM Hot spot very well... And when talking directly to it via a MD-380 the audio is very poor...

Any suggestions? Seems some people are really happy with it.

Dennis

8. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

It only has an FCC sticker with no reference to any part of the FCC regs. Not sure the FCC is looking at Chinese imports very hard. Just file a Form 740 with customs.

9. KA1AAA

KA1AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. I can buy that explanation.... I think in the past Chinese radios have been Type accepted for commercial use. Which gives way for them to be used on the amateur bands but here is the caveat. If you program one of these radios with both services, ham and commercial you are in violation of the FCC rules. The use can be one or the other not both. You can RX on both without conflict but the minute you allow TX on both services you are in violation and subject your license to revocation. Now maybe I interpret this all wrong, kinda new at this.

10. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If your only using for the amateur radio service the radio does not need FCC type acceptance.

11. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you provide a link to that rule? Never heard of that and it doesn't make sense for a Type Accepted (or Grant Of Equipment Authorization Certification) radio.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

12. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are not licensed under part 90 or authorized by a licensee then it is illegal to program a radio to TRANSMIT on part 90 frequencies you are not authorized to use.
    See 47CFR 90.427 (b) https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?&mc=true&node=se47.5.90_1427&rgn=div8