Radio vintage : Navy Type SE-1420 - IP-501 ( year 1920 ).

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by IW2BSF, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

radio vintage : Navy Type SE-1420 - IP-501 ( year 1920 ).

The Classic Shipboard Wireless Receivers

The SE-1420 was designed for the Navy at the close of WWI by Louis Hazeltine, who was a Stevens Institute graduate and later taught there.

Made by RCA Radiomarine Corporation of America as the builder this receiver.

amazing radio , see more info :

https://www.radioblvd.com/ip501.htm...DFtCJ_UrPY4Ciimxiy1hW-s5XLp7U5vunLsLZCX0V7ExI

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

[​IMG]

VU2USA, DL6BCX, N8ZL and 10 others like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Ive seen that on Henrys site a few times but sort of just passe it over when looking for something else. And then Hallicrafters copied the dial style that made them famous.

My oldest USN receivers are the RAK and RAL designed by RCA in 1934 and still in limited service in the 60's. I consider them the best of the regenerative sets, have both and use the RAL once in awhile with some homebrew late 1920's circuitry transmitters.

Carl
    Ham since 1955
    USN active duty 1959-63 and Reserves until 1987

OH2ZL, KC8YLT and W6GH like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks NIB!

4. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Those RAL series receivers can hear signals before they're transmitted if you know how to properly use one :). My first novice receiver in 1977 was a hand-me-down RAL-7 (yup it was old even then) and I used it for years.

BTW Carl, thank you for your service :)

KM1H and W6GH like this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Your welcome and I enjoyed serving.

I used the RAK and RAL aboard a fleet oiler (1945 built tanker) I was on 61-63 which was the backup RX in Emergency Radio sort of expecting a real dog.....wow was I wrong!

I picked up a RAK-7 and RAL- 7 plus the PS at a hamfest decades later and use the RAL for CW with some some homebrew TX using vintage designs and components. With the limiter on it hears well right thru T Storms without blowing my eardrums and with the audio selectivity cranked in there is none of the hollow sound as from other filters.
    An amazing radio and built to last forever BUT ugly as hell:eek:

The RAK sometimes is used to copy SAQ, the Swedish alternator TX on Christmas Eve on 17.2 kc
    http://alexander.n.se/
    https://grimeton.org/?lang=en

Carl

KD2ANN, WB5THT and KF4ZKU like this.
  6. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Wireless Specialties SE-1420. See May, 2013 QST, page 94.

The receiver works very well. I used to listen to long wave broadcasts on it before many of them went silent. My new goal with it is to build a homebrew. 50 W CW transmitter, using a WE-211E tube (tipped at the top) and an RCA schematic from 1920, with the purpose of using it with the SE-1420 on 630 meters. I have the tube and most of the original parts. It would be amusing to send, "rig hr is 100 yrs old".

The SE-1420 was first advertised in QST in December of 1919.

KD2ACO and KM1H like this.
  7. K8UV

K8UV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a very nice example for sale if anyone is interested. And it works too! de Rich K8UV Good in QRZ

8. KJ7WT

KJ7WT Subscriber QRZ Page

I really enjoy these articles! I am really impressed with the construction and performance of some of these old rigs, and impressed by the ingenuity and skill of the designers - no computers, just paper, pencil, slide rule, and an apparently deep understanding of electronic theory. Great stuff, hopefully there is more to come!

DL6BCX, KF4ZKU and WN1MB like this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RUDY,
    MILLE GRAZIE,
    SALUTI,
    CIAO,

Hats_off[1].gif
    N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.gif 73 K1LKP.jpg

IW2BSF likes this.
  10. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wow... Carmen thanks to you .... CIAO from the nice Italy ! 73 :)