ad: M2Ant-1

Radio Shacks "new" ham radio?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N2VHZ, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4QFY

KI4QFY QRZ Member

Oh, I fogot to mention the obvious... For that much, you can get a good used all band all mode HF transciver.

Everyone hold hands and all together say... DOH!

2. N4WVE

N4WVE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the FCC should do a lot more enforcement on these "illegal" cb'ers on 10 meters.  It's bad enough they get on the local repeaters on 2 meters!  I see a lot of cb "linear amps" on ebay as well.  I always use "send seller a question", then ask all types of technical questions about the amp such as what type of ALC control it has and what amount of drive is required?  Is it a tube amp or solid state and is the power supply built in?  I also ask if they will email me a copy of there current license before I consider bidding.  You would be surprised how many of the auctions are pulled in an hour or so after the email![​IMG]

3. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is disgusting, LOL.

However, i'm not surprised.

radio shack is a pit now

I'd rather wait 3 days for PL-259's from Gigaparts, who are friendly and know what the hell they're talking about.

4. KG7TNT

KG7TNT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeeppers !!! ,

Looks just like the ol' daze ( for me ) it was in the MID 70's !
    & I on my bicycle !!! with a Midland CB !

I've changed a good deal since then But Rat-Shack hasn't ,

They're tryin ' ta sell ya on the NEW Stuff. . . . .

Maybe even NOS ? ?!? ! ?!

All for now ,
    Tim
    KE7JEM

5. M3MVB

M3MVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just hope it dont make it to us in the uk rat shack should be ashamed to even promote this rig ( i use the time loosely )

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein :rock: :rock:

6. N0CID

N0CID Ham Member QRZ Page

After checking the RS site, I tried to seach with the rubrics 'amateur radio' and 'cobra,' etc. I found nothing of the Cobra you mentioned on RS. I sold all of my RSH stocks in late November because they have problems, but this does not one of them.

I may call RS later (so pressing, this is not). Anyone can call at 1 (800) theshack.

Please folks, call or search and report back to this thread, in case I am in error. At my age, I am at great risk of error; more often than not.

Now, I may be in error. Perhaps you could provide the link.

Faulty information, maybe?

However, in reading your info-page, you note that the 'DA' prefix is only issued to U.S. forces and German club Stations (as DA0HQ). Well, the 'DA' is issued to all allied nations, to include France, GB, and Canada (which have, indeed, become rare). The numeric '0' designator DA calls are for club stations in the Federal Republic.

I imagine that you are perhaps very near or in ,,Franken," which is part of the Free State of Bavaria. But close to the border with Hesse (west of Würzburg). I was most amused that you show a photo, which more than likely taken in ,,der Schweiz." (dative case used for agreement, -- d.h. mit 'absicht'). The photo would not represent your area.

These are just observations base on what is seen on current postings.

vy 73,

7. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys have beaten this dead horse so much you have resurrected it as an eternal jackass.

8. N0CID

N0CID Ham Member QRZ Page

There just might be an injustice here, insofar, RS may have, indeed, not have ever marketed the item noted. There is no record that could be found that on this rig. And, if it were on the market, I certainly would have known. For that, I owe no excuse. The others can speak for themselves, if they choose.

Radio Shack has left the mainstream, as far as meeting the needs of (what is left of) the electronic hobbyist folks. However, this is due to the lack of folks building and experimenting anymore. Heathkit and Laffayette did not go Tango Uniform from bad business. Heath did make a good attempt at changing direction, for a hopeful more lucrative market.

RS has left the amateur radio market for good, as far as the tea leaves read. RS offered some very good amateur radio products from 2000 to 2003, still. The HTX-10 is a fine unit, for example. But, folks bought elswere. If a product, as a SWR meter, can be used in both amateur radio and the Citizen's Band "service," it is perhaps available (with a few caveates).

All the folks in this thread were addressed in the indictment posted by you, not just this writer. This is clear and I understand that. For my part, only, it is my goal only to point out something that may be not be correct. If that bothers you, it is not my problem.

9. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, a few months back the Radio Shack website was marketing that transciever. I read this thread and replied to it several months ago. It is obvious that Radio Shack has decided to pull the transciever off of their website, perhaps due to complaints or concerns about their image.

But for whatever reason, the bottom line is that this thread was indeed accurate when it was started several months back.

10. KA3TRX

KA3TRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I too saw this transciever listed on their website.  However, it was pulled from the site shortly after this thread was started last August.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.