Radio Shack HTX-212 Mars Mod

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by AK4MP, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a mars/cap mod for the RS HTX-212?

2. KA5S

KA5S Subscriber QRZ Page

Google IS our friend you know:

I can't vouch for the mod, though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  3. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not be a 'cap' mode anymore as they now require certified radios.

and mars mod should be available from the mars co-ordinator you deal with as a mars licensed operator.

your avatar has me thinking about all those who want to use their ham radios for fire dept work..

thats a no -no..
  4. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KC7DRI

KC7DRI Ham Member QRZ Page

All these responses bring up the question about how similar the 212 is to the 242.
  6. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, big fines for that one. Certified radios for most Public Safety frequencies can be had pretty cheaply...
  7. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

8. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm no longer on the Fire Department (anyway it is 100% volunteer no chance to violate 97.113 even if I was still a member.) I retired for health reasons. Heart Problems. FYI: My Dad served, I served, my Baby Brother now serves and both of my sons serve the same Volunteer Fire Department.

Not interested in CAP duties and I have 5 (FIVE) PS Certified radios already and programmed for PS duty.

You must be hearing things. The HAM police can go blow. I left ARES because of 97.113. I do not work for any PS or private agency, I am often contacted for advice. Spent over 40 years in PS Duty, Paid and volunteer and now I am out of it all.

Next Comment?

I have already checked Google, Yahoo and several other sites.
    Just thought someone might have figured out the mars mod.

Thanks to those who replied w/o comments
  9. KC4RAN

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter who you work for, it doesn't matter if you're a volunteer. This isn't about Part 97.

This is about using non-certified radio on Part 90 Public Safety spectrum.

It's not legal to transmit using that radio on FD frequencies. Period. Regardless of your employment status. No, the chief can't "say it's OK". They don't have the authority. It's an FCC thing.

Were you asking for a receive mod or a transmit mod? 99% of the time, when someone asks for a "MARS/CAP" mod, they don't have anything to do with MARS or CAP... they want it to expand the TX range of the radio. In this case, if this is your intention, it isn't legal.
  10. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

well touchy touchy.

I would like to see posters who have read a few threads to realize what they are asking..

If you want to do a MARS mod, the only legal reason is to be on mars.

hence you should start your question with """ my MARS call sign is xxxxxxx and I want to mod a certain radio.."""

That would remove any response about legality, which
    is so common on the boards ,as like it w

as stated 99% want to do something illegal.

as for haveing the ham police to ' go blow' , part of my or our response is to educate the unknowing, as some of this is not in the ham rules put in the commercial rules, which new hams have not ventured into.

edit spelling..

and if that attitude of 'ham police go blow' includes ham and commercial RULES go blow', then perhaps you are not suited to being a ham..
  11. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, he could want to do a MARS mod, just because he can. That's another reason. As long as he doesn't xmit out of band, no problems.

Does this help? Not sure how close the 212 is to the 242 :/

Also, here's the manual. I know one of my HTX's had an extended frequency mod in the manual. It also has a schematic there in case you want to tinker.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  12. KC2UGV

Just found it:
    To expand the transmit frequency coverage, hold down F+DTMF while
    you turn on the HTX-212. The new frequency ranges are:

VFO* Mode: Transmit: 143.000 – 149.000 MHz
    Receive: 136.000 – 174.000 MHz
    Memory Channels: Transmit: 143.000 – 149.000 MHz
    Receive: 143.000 – 149.000 MHz
  13. KC4RAN

As long as the original poster understands that he can lose his license for life, he can be fined by the FCC, his department can be fined by the FCC, and inadvertent transmissions (because you sat on the mic) or inadvertent interference (because the transmission characteristics of the radio don't meet Part 90 specs)... if you're OK with all of that, then I guess the risk is his.

They did it to the Philadelphia PD. No reason to think the new guard at the FCC - who seems ready to investigate everything else - wouldn't be willing to check this situation out as well.
  14. KC2UGV

He doesn't have a "Department". He already said he's retired. And, since he is licensed, it's assumed he knows Part 97.

And yes, the risk is his. Just like the risk is our own personal responsibility if we choose to build our own transmitters and put them on the air.
  15. KC4RAN

Then who is he transmitting to? Whoever that is, whatever department that is, whatever department that person is affiliated with, could also be at risk.

And if he's retired, why is he transmitting at all on PS frequencies?

Finally, knowing Part 97 isn't enough. I doubt this PS frequency is covered under Part 97 regulations... probably Part 90... which is significantly more restrictive.

Which is why using an HTX-212 on PS frequencies is illegal, and can carry fines for all involved.
  16. KC2UGV

Part 97 covers where and under what modes you may transmit. If the frequency is not listed in Part 97, it's assumed you have no license to transmit there. Of course, it's all moot, since he never said he was going to transmit there, he just wanted to mod his radio.

So, pray tell, where he said he was transmitting on those frequencies?

Don't worry, I'll wait.
  17. KC4RAN

He didn't, but it's very easy to see the inference. Wanting a TX mod, not a MARS member, not certified for CAP... long explanation on why he's still associated with the FD...

But I guess there's some other reason to get a mod to open up the TX on your radio, other than to TX on 'other' frequencies. Strangely enough, I can't find any other frequencies in the expanded range that don't require certification, and he also didn't indicate any membership in any other groups that would necessitate opening up the TX on the radio for those frequencies.

Sorry, but if you can't see that this doesn't pass the smell test, you're just ignoring it. But we've already established that.

Hope you didn't wait too long.
  18. KC2UGV

Sure there is. To do it. The pure enjoyment of unlocking some "new" potential in your gear. I open up everything I have (IPods, Laptops, Ham radio rigs, DVD players, Linksys routers, desk phones). You name it, I "open it up".

Never intend on transmitting on 136MHz, just like I never intend on playing a Region 10 DVD, but I like doing it.

Or, maybe he's going to use it in a frequency divider? Ever thought of that?
  19. KC4RAN

I'm sure that's it. How could I have missed it?

/sarcasm off

Go ahead and try to convince yourself, but it still doesn't pass the smell test for anyone who looks at it and sees the real reason.
  20. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes there is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.