Radio Mart, Martyn, K4TEC, Gone?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K8ERV, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone noticed? Martyn (Radio-Mart) has quit Ebay "due to high fees", and is now selling from his website

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know times are really tough when a fellow can't make an honest living on Ebay! ;)
  3. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I guess he and his cronies can sell each other radios all they want. I'm sure it's no huge loss to the Amateur Community at large.

But thanks for advertising his new website for him, now I know where NOT to go.
  4. KE4YD

KE4YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Martyn hasn't gone. He's selling now under ilovetosell.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't find anything by that seller that looks like Martyn's. ??

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of Martyn's stuff doesn't look like Martyn's.:rolleyes:
  7. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Martyn / Radio-mart gone?

Look under "Company reviews" on E-ham for the latest...

Radio-mart and his "sister company" ilove2cell are no longer on ebay
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There goes one in ten posts here on The Zed.
  9. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There, fixed that for you....
  10. AB3FL

AB3FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Now he doesn't have to follow any ebay/paypal rules. No pictures on his site, just "mint condition" radios from his "personal collection" He can now rip anyone off and they have no recourse to get their money back

Tom - AB3FL
  11. N6EAG

N6EAG Ham Member QRZ Page

12. N5AL

N5AL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, "ts944" must be experiencing radio-buying withdrawal symptoms!
  13. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of years ago I emailed him to ask if I could drop by and look at an item he listed, as i live a little over an hour from him. "No way, no how" was his reply....he doesn't accept visitors.

I've read enough to conclude his pictures aren't the same item he has for sale.
  14. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I shudder to think (and you can probably guess why)... but could this be the same Martyn?? I had heard in the past he was a rider...

15. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ m a little surprised his website doesn’t say something more like he has left eBay because of their silly insistence that he put actual photos of the actual radios and real information about the condition of said radios.

Before I had a clue about him I bid on some of the radios he had on eBay. Many times I was the leading bidder only to be sniped at the last second by one of his shills.

Within a day sometimes less the same rig would be back on eBay at a higher starting bid. Usually under his same name. The listing would say something about how it was being relisted because the winning bidder had not paid for it.

It riled me quite a bit and I soon learned not to bid on his junk. It was a real shame too, he could have had actual money instead of just paying the fees for the bogus transaction.

I often wondered how he could stay in business doing things the way he was. Naturally time passed and I found out more about how he would sell some ‘mint condition’ ‘from his private collection’ rig to some hapless ham who would return it because it was missing parts or simply did not work.

The ham would be out the cash and Martyn would sell the junk to some other unwary ham.

And again I’d sit here wondering how he could still be on eBay.
  16. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

ebay must have put the smackdown on him if he left. prob tired of all the complaints about him
  17. W6VHK

From what I can see, RADIO-MART did not voluntarily leave ebay . Several months ago, I noticed a certain bidder bidding on most of radio-marts more expensive items...and not just radios. Motorcycles, telescopes, basically everything radio-mart had for sale. I dug deeper into radio-marts "completed auctions" / feedback page and noticed this bidder was usually the SECOND highest bidder on hundreds and hundreds of other auctions. Needless to say this was very unusual. I started reporting them all to ebay.....nothing happened week after week the same thing.
    Other people started seeing the same pattern and started reporting them too. All I know is that a few weeks ago radio-mart had all of his auctions pulled off ebay in mid-auction...all at once!
  18. K4JSG

K4JSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah theres a bunch of people that abuse ebays policies..
  19. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

As I understand it, some folks with a lot of patience and drive finally got it through
    EBay's thick skull that "TS944" actually was shill bidding for Radio-Mart. Always the last
    bid at the last minute, with the item being reposted a few days later.

"TS944" "won" over $50,000 in merchandise at auction from Martyn in a year or so. Not just ham radio stuff, but motorcycles, motorcycle parts, car parts, etc. YET Martyn never once left even ONE positive feedback for "TS944". :confused:

Then there was the infamous "Feedback Extortion Racket", where he would refuse
    to refund your money for a bum rig if you left him negative feedback.

It is good that he will have a far smaller potential customer base operating
    outside of EBay. He was especially notorious for ripping off overseas buyers,
    who for most his return shipping charges were just too outrageous to deal with.
    I too worry that the "Caveat Emptor" situation is now even more exacerbated.
    At least Ebay buyers had SOME recourse, however limited.

IMHO, most of the Internt Fraud reporting centers are pretty impotent.
    I have never heard if them taking anyone down for Net sales fraud,
    but I could be wrong.
  20. W6VHK

Martyn gone?

I know that in the past ebay had passed along information to law enforcement for shill bidding. I would LOVE to see them do it in this case. From what I saw, this was not a "once in a while" thing, it was on several auctions a week, mostly expensive radios. I got the impression radio-mart thought that no one was paying attention....He was wrong. I think if this one ever went to court it would be a slam dunk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.