Radio installation into my 2013 Ford F-150 STX

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W6VMX, Jan 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree. No sense in enjoying it if one is doing it wrong. If something is wrong, its... wrong. Call a spade for what it is.

Its one thing to hack something together when you have to make do; but radio is a hobby and thus there really isn't an excuse to do it wrong.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is what happens when you do it wrong! The vehicle in question is a brand-new Lexus. The county hunter in question didn't install fuses where he should have. That "one on a million chance" (his words, not mine) happened!

Attached Files:

• Door.png
      Door.png
      File size:
      704.8 KB
      Views:
    • Seat.png
      Seat.png
      File size:
      697.5 KB
      Views:
  3. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I take it that was unfused wires to the battery, no? Pretty foolish.

Last car I had used a large stud under the dash with #4 or so wiring to the battery. I tapped that for +12V (ust add a ring terminal) to run a 2m/440 rig, and used body ground at the radio itself. #4 wire was fused at the battery, and there was a fuse after my tap, and fuses back at the radio... If anything happened I would have bricked the car, but it was still fused. I'd think a good number of cars today probably have similar easy to tap points under the dash for power, if one is against running out to the battery. If not wise then at least fused.

4. W6VMX

W6VMX Ham Member QRZ Page

While moving around in the passenger seat, the control head of my FTM400DR was bumped and the suction cup mount was knocked loose. Since it was off, I went ahead and took an alcohol wipe and cleaned the mounting disc and suction cup thoroughly and re-stuck them together. That was a couple of months ago, and since then they have been stuck nicely despite the bumps and nudges it has received. During that time the temperature has varied from the mid 90's to below 40 with no apparent effect on the mounting. Very pleased with it to date.

5. REASTON

REASTON QRZ Member

6. W6VMX

Wow!! It is now February 18th and my control head suction cup mount is STILL adhering firmly. The FTM400DR has been bumped a number of times, readjusted by passenger to view from their angle, subjected to 100 degree temps inside the cab, and has not let loose so far. Highly recommended.......

7. W6VMX

Recently have had to park in a low (6'6") parking structure, and had to remove antenna from roof of my truck to be able to fit under ceiling. Placed the antenna near center of the bed, and about 2 feet back from cab. Has to stay there for a while as I will need to keep parking there for a few weeks more. Checked out the reception and transmission to my normal repeaters, and with the assistance of friends, was told that I am reaching the repeaters I use with full quieting and good modulation. Would have had to completely remove the antenna if I had drilled the hole, and would have lost my communications for the duration. So, sometimes there is a silver lining to not following the norm, but doing what works for a specific installation. Also it got rid of my pesky wind whistle for the time being too :).

8. W6VMX

It is now July 28th and suction cup mounting is STILL holding well. Cleaning it with an alcohol wipe did the trick nicely it seems. Will hopefully be moving soon, from a beach area to North Vegas which will be putting the mounting method under a whole new testing environment. Temps in the new area have been over 100 degrees for awhile now, with more of same to come. Still several months from move, but looking forward to it as new location has a nice, soon to be, ham shack, a private pool and a solar panel array of over 50 panels!! Also close to VA hospital and Farm Basket (formerly Picnic'N'Chicken) home of the Gobbler Turkey sandwich..........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. W6VMX

It is now October 15th. House we had planned on previously was a "short sale", so we reluctantly withdrew our bid on it. Have since moved into our other choice, a 2500sf on 10500sf of land. Has a nice pool (now anyway), 5 bedrooms, 3 baths. Minor issues since moving in, but a nice home. The F150 mount did finally come loose, but what I did was to remount the suction cup to the backing, and then put a single screw through it into the backing itself. Problem solved forever now ;). Slowly getting shack set up and hope to soon have another HF ready to go. Security system is back up and recording 24/7 again, including the PTZ mounted at about 25 feet AGL. Can observe all around including parking area and pool area, as well as all of the rear block wall fencing. More as things progress..........

10. W6VMX

Happy New Year to all!!!!!!

Recently (on Dec. 27th) had to make a trip from new home in Las Vegas to Bakersfield and back, and had APRS tracking on for entire trip. Left at 0400, arrived at 0850, left again at 1000 and arrived back in Vegas at 1450. Wife was able to follow progress for entire trip, which I think was pretty neat. Did make a few contacts along the way, but was VERY disappointed in several of the people using the Tehachapi repeater. Pretty foul, so just ignored them and enjoyed the snowy views instead. Trip was interesting, and it has been YEARS since I had last traveled on highway 58. Has changed a lot, especially near Mohave area. Trip was uneventful, and made great time overall. Was approximately 580+ miles round trip, and the F150 got just over 20 MPG, and the FTM-400DR worked flawlessly too. Programming in freqs at start of trip was easy using the SD card storage, although would have preferred being able to follow entire route with active stations, just would have taken a bit more research prior to trip. Thanks to those along the way for the contacts made, was lots of fun. But, was very happy to return home safely after the trip. Everyone have a great New Year!!!!

KD5BVX likes this.