Radiaphone Band Scanner

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI7WQH, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, but I said "get the ARRL's permission before you can copy, post, and distribute the article". As I said in the previous post, see the first paragraph in the link provided. If you disagree with their Copyright statement, it's best to take it up with them.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Providing a single copy to an individual does not constitute "distributing". However, libraries, and most educational institutions (schools, universities, colleges, etc.) are usually allowed to make multiple copies.

Fair use by by individuals and educational institutions are covered in Section 107:

§107 · Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use 40 Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include— (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

Getting information on a specific unit would come under the heading of "research" or "comment". If he were, for example, writing an article on the unit, he could definitely quote from the article so long as he attributed the source properly. Posting the information here on QRZ.com would come under the heading of "comment".

I doubt very much that the ARRL would object even though they will provide, for a fee, copies of a single article. Even if they did object, Section 107 preempts any legal claim and the ARRL would just be wasting money if they were to try to take legal action.

The Copyright Law can be found at:

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/title17.pdf

Glen, K9STH

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I know and understand the law very well. I'm only reporting what is posted on the ARRL site. Of course, if someone wanted to test their legal position, they can have at it.
    And, like a lot of things that are hitting the airwaves in today's times, :) it's all in the manner of legal interpretation. The law is "perfect" reading.

I read the QST article on this panadapter and I don't see anything there to get excited about. A Heathkit HO-13, SB-620, or even a Hallicrafters SP-44 (or equivalent) can do as much and information is readily available from numerous sources. Lots of military panadapters floating around too.

4. K9STH

The ARRL, for decades, has definitely "pushed the envelope", if not has just tried to bluff, their interpretation of things like the Copyright Law. Most people just take their "word for it" and do not challenge things. The ARRL has actually messed things up where their copyrights are involved and, as such, certain items, like a few of the Amateur Radio Operator's Handbook, as well as certain other manuals, have made it, legally, into the public domain.

There have been suggestions, published in QST, that a copy be made of things, like schematics and other details, to be used on the workbench to mark when a component, or other thing, has been installed. This to protect the original, published in the magazine, manual, etc., from damage.

I definitely do not condone copying, and then distributing, of any large portion of any copyrighted document. However, the fair use doctrine is present for very good reasons whether or not the ARRL agrees.

Glen, K9STH

KI7WQH likes this.
  5. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally got the copy of QST. This is a cool little unit. Turns out it also doubles as an AF/RF monitor. The IF frequency is wants is 455kc

"The Band Scanner is attached to the receiver through a coaxial cable...Connection is made to the plate of the first converter tube (if the receiver has a crystal controlled first converter the lead must be connected to the second converter stage) which must have the same output frequency as the Band Scanner. The standard model is supplied for use with receivers i.f.s. output of 455kc"

So it looks like I need to convert 3.18 khz to 455 khz, correct? Do you know if there are any plans online to create a converter?

-Steve
    Photo on 10-15-19 at 1.42 PM.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K9STH

WQH:

The 3.18 is MHz, not Hz! That is 3180 kHz. To get to 455 kHz would required either an injection frequency of 2725 kHz (2.725 MHz) or 3635 kHz (3.635 MHz). However, the 3635 kHz frequency would interfere with, at least, both the 75-meter and 40-meter band. Therefore, I would definitely use 2725 kHz.

Glen, K9STH

8. WA6KNW

WA6KNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the article you're looking for. It looks like the input signal range is 355 - 555 KHz.
    RICH WA6KNW

Attached Files: