Radar?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K7RQ, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone here have the straight info on the source of the S-9+ radar-type signal we are hearing most mornings in the Pac. NW on 80 and 40 meters? It sounds like a gas engine running. I haven't seen anything from ARRL on it. It's a different sound from the old Russian woodpecker.

Hal

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard complaints from a station in Hawaii, about Chineese Over-the-horizon radar on HF bands..I was trying to work him on 60M CW and the radar let up long enough to make the QSO.

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't hear it 180 mi North of you in Everett, WA. Bands are quiet. 80m ant = cage inverted vee at 70', 40m ants = dipole at 65', 2 el yagi at 72'.

4. KE7ZOE

KE7ZOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a guess...

lgFloating_SBX006_hires.jpg

5. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

That is an X-band radar, a little itty bit high in freq. for HF interference?

6. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I got some input from another forum. The general consensus is that it's coming from China. It was 20 over 9 here on 3825 this morning. Sometimes it's on 80m., and not on 40, and other times vice versa.
    Hal

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The most common offender is a Chinese OTH radar. The Australians also have an OTH radar which can be heard on the HF bands, but they have not trespassed on the ham bands for several years.

8. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought all the 'Texas Towers' have been decommissioned as well....

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My 80 & 40m antennas are good enough to hear & work Asia, and I've never heared any of the noise you mention on 3825, or any other 80/40m frequency. How many and where are the other stations that are hearing it?

10. KB4QAA

They were. Fifty years ago. This is a floating, mobile rig that was built for development of the ballistic missile shield system and is now operational.

11. KB4QAA

They were. Fifty years ago. This is a floating, mobile rig that was built for development of the ballistic missile shield system and is now operational.

12. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

The North Koreans are getting ready for a rocket launch as well as live fire war games. I'll bet there is all kinds of radar active now.

13. KB1NXE

So a replacement to the Cobra Judy/Jane program then? The only USAF Ship at Sea?

14. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not likely. Little blips of X-Band radar. I helped managed the operations of the vessel from stateside for over a year and she is still actively pursuing bad guys here and there from different points. She is a thing of beauty. Lots of class.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  15. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't get on 40 or 80 much during the night. But, this morning about 1415Z I was on 40 and did hear OTH radar @ about 10 db over S-9 here in NE Oregon. It quit just in time for me to work the ZL9 before the ZL9 faded

16. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

+1

I hear it a couple of times a week on 40M for a couple of hours then poof! Gone.

People not hearing this on the left coast should 1) Check their gear 2) Schedule an appointment with an audiologist.

17. KB1NXE

A guy who worked for me after he also retired from the USAF was the mission commander on Judy several times. He had interesting stories. One I like the best was sending over a 'pallet' of gifts to the trawling trawler. The gifts were all the ships Bibles!

18. KB5UBI

KB5UBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Cobra Dane in Alaska was 1.1 to 1.3 ghz. but there are more advanced SSPARS and OTH (< 30 mhz) radars at Clear AFS, Alaska. Seems reasonable we would have some OTH radars on the west coast.

19. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pall kinds of interesting stories...helluva radar too.

20. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear "CODAR" here from 40m to 80m and everywhere in between. But, they are supposed to be getting out of the amateur bands at some point, and honestly I haven't noticed if they already did. One thing I did notice was Atencion on 75m last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.