Radar Noise?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KJ6UFY, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I know we’ve all heard that Buzz Saw noise on the air. I’ve got an ear full of it now- 01 Jan 13, 1630 PST. I just spoke to an operator in Florida and we both have this signal at the same strength.
    I’ve heard that it is the USAF’s PAVEPAW radar, HAARP, N. Korean Radar, etc. Anyone have a better more accurate idea as to what this is? Talk about ”harmful interference!”

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curb your indignation.

What frequency?

The Pave Paws radar is in the 70cm band, and there have been essentially no complaints of interference in the last several years on this board.

3. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the last year or so a lot of operators have been reporting the same thing. General consensus is that it is Chinese over the horizon radar. First it was the Russian Woodpecker and now it is the Chinese Dragon.

4. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

:confused: Thanks. I guess mentioning that I heard this on 20 meters would help. I do remember the Woodpecker but thought that was a think of the past. O'well, I think I'll live.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Could it be the lumber jack who lives next door?

6. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, he's ok!

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it was True Radar on 20 meters, I would bet it is not working very well.

8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Ham Member QRZ Page

Several civilian agencies in the US, mostly universities I believe, operate HF RADARS to measure ocean waves but to the best of my knowledge, none operate near 20 M.
    Tom WA4ILH

9. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

HF OTH radar works considerably different than the normal UHF type radar. Lots of countries using HF OTH radar systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-horizon_radar

10. W7GIB

W7GIB Ham Member QRZ Page

First off have you recorded this noise. With Walmart throwing their fine 50 inch and better tvs out the door, make sure its not local. As to it being the Chinese or some other nations military, lets hope that is not the case. I assure you some nerd from New England with super glue holding his glasses together is going to have little impact upon the Chinese military.

11. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try "Gorilla Glue". "Superglue" makes ur eyes burn.:rolleyes:

12. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, how far do these Plamas propagate? Maybe we can key one up and make some QSO's. Couple it to a Marconi and work some real DX

13. KC9GHA

KC9GHA Ham Member QRZ Page

He works all night and sleeps all day. ;)

14. K7GFH

K7GFH Ham Member QRZ Page

15. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in '07 out in the LA area I heard something that pretty much blanketed the HF spectrum that resembled some kind of radar. It was pulsed at about 6-7 pules/sec. It drove me nuts.

I never really got a definitive answer for what it was, but the sound resembled BPL (Broadband over power lines). I learned that sometimes power companies will use "something like BPL" to control whatever they need to control. I heard this both in Manhattan Beach and in Palm Springs. There is a large windmill array just outside of Palm Springs that could've been using that technology.

The confusing thing about this is I enquired multiple times about that and never got an answer, or anyone else who was beset with this receiving problem. I finally concluded that I was just unlucky enough to try to operate where the technology was local. Still confuses me to this day.

16. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

17. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

18. K7GFH

K7GFH Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the worst I have seen in awhile. Notice at the end of the recording the radar resets? Lack of a better term. It does this every 3 1/2 minutes roughly. The nice thing is it has moved off of the 40 meter band to just below it. Hopefully it stays there!

View attachment China OTH with reset.mp3

Screenshot-2013-03-23-081724.png

19. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been playing hell with seventy five in themornings.

20. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

How wide are these OTH radar signals. Do they blanket a big, big chunck of the HF spectrum, or do that seem to be more or less narrower? Have they been verified to be, in fact, OTH radar? Or could it be some kind of BPL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.