ad: Alphaant-1

Quartzfest 2019 -New Distance Challenge for those attending

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NF7E, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NF7E

NF7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2019 QF Distance Challenge Event Are you going to Quartzfest 2019? Be sure to bring along a HF radio and your own antenna(commercial or homebrewed) and enter the "First" Distance Challenge event to see if you can make the longest distance contact from the QF site! This barefoot(100watts or less) & QRP challenge will include both SSB & CW, but no digital. You don't have to make lots of QSOs, just the longest one. January 22nd will be the first day of the possible two day event. The Northern Arizona DX Association is sponsoring this and if you want more details, just e-mail NF7E(use his address on QRZ,com )for all the information, rules and restrictions . Now we can see just who has the best portable antenna and luck to become the QF's First Distance Challenge Champ!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

KG7OH, NK9Y, N4GST and 4 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Quartzfest schedule--- FUN!

http://quartzfest.org/documents/Quartzfest 2019 Schedule.pdf

Quartzfest happens contemporaneously with the 'Woodstock'-like, extended gathering at Quartzsite. Sort of the 'Sturgis ' of RV's, with less alcohol and more guns (to admire). I attended once. Its hard to describe: RV city; rock show; quintessentially ol' West hospitality. You should look it up.

Its a blast in the middle of nowhere!

If you don't have a good time you are either too jaded --or dead;-) Or you don't like rocks...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    W7XLR, NK9Y, N4GST and 2 others like this.
  3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

The picture on the link shows my Casita travel trailer at the Texas Star Party. :) Quartzfest is on my Bucket List.

John WD5IKX

Casita-TSP-3.JPG

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    N5VAF, K5NR, KS4TD and 17 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Quartz Fest website provides better info than I have.

Quartzfest is not at Quartzsite; its a nearby 'town'. Here is Quartzsite mid season (feb) with all the RV's.

[​IMG]

KC5YSQ, W7XLR, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  5. KH6OWL

KH6OWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a great photo of your RV camper.

W7XLR and WD5IKX like this.
  6. VA3GET

VA3GET Ham Member QRZ Page

ham radio is dead?

N5VAF and W5PFG like this.
  7. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Too crowed for me. Enjoy yourself.

W6MQI and KE8BHP like this.
  8. KA6RCZ

KA6RCZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John,

Are you coming to the Molded Fiberglass rally at Dome Rock?

WD5IKX likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Quartzsite is zoo-ey but Quartzfest is off site a few miles away. Haven't been yet. Videos look pretty laid back and not sardine-packed.

If you go, be sure to visit Dome City--a really cool ghost town.

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was infatuated with a Casita...but my wife was not. She does not care for travel trailers or RVs.
    Been thru Quartzsite many times while driving to the Indian Wells, CA tennis tournament.
    Quratzsite calls itself the capital of "Boondocking". I think it's appropriate.
    I would attend this event if my spouse could enjoy it with me. She did a lot of back packing with me and our sons when they were growing up. After the last one left she put her foot down on anything short of a 4 star motel. That's her idea of roughing it now!

I should point out that our last back packing trip included a four inch snow accumulation while we were tenting. The boys and our dog loved it...

11. WD5IKX

Not this year but I hope to maybe next year. I love desert camping and imaging with my telescopes and of course talking on the radio.

John WD5IKX

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  12. KR1SS

KR1SS Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO and N0UO will be there from KS, one more year.

14. KB3TZJ

KB3TZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a really nice event are there others on the east coast to attend

15. WD5IKX

"Road Trip!!!!!" :)

John WD5IKX

WD5IKX-mobile-sm-crop.JPG