Quality, relatively inexpensive vertical Antennas?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KJ7CDF, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

How about a 6 band DX-commander.

Its a telescopic mast with 6 fan wire dipoles.
    It is normaly set-up as a ground mounted 1/4 wave with ground radials.
    Its full size on all bands, no traps and other difficult things that can go wrong with it.

And its not that expensive either.

Look at you-tube for DX commander he has a lot of videos etc.

His call is m0mcx Callum.
    https://www.m0mcx.co.uk/

73 Jos

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The combination of a Hertz antenna (dipole) and Marconi antenna m("vertical") is a classic combination.

The simple explanation is the radiation patterns of the 2 antennas, as installed by the typical ham station, compliment each other .

On almost every contact you will find one or the other noticeably better, and not allways how the textbooks predict.

Rege

3. KJ7CDF

KJ7CDF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have considered the Dx commander, the only downside would be that it has to ship from the UK but, the antenna itself is a decent price.

AI3V: Yes, I will most likely end up with this combination because (as mentioned) the advantage in the differences of the radiating pattern.

KJ7CDF

4. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I have tested a number of multi band vertical antennas from well known producers, against full size monoband groundplanes.
    Results of these tests were shocking, not a single multiband vertical from these producers was able to defeat a $5 saved from scrap build 20 mtr monoband vertical GP with 3 tuned elevated wire radials put at 10 feet above ground with its feedpoint.
    Sometimes these multiband verticals were more then 6 dB worse in every contact we made.
    The more traps and bands they had the worse they performed.

for Kj7cdf, if you look at the latest video of DX commander on youtube (the one of 4 April) , you can exactly see what the parts are in a DX-commander , If i bought a fiberglass pole of 10 mtrs 3 PE kitchen cutting boards and 2 pieces of aluminium plate of 1/8 inch thick.
    I am sure I could make this DX-commander myself.
    Believe me this antenna will outperform a Daimond CP6 and comet CAH6 on every band.
    It will do rings around a Comet CAH250 and even on the trapped wonders of Hygain.

I was able to make a multiband wonder vertical for $10 from an old CB half wave and 30 mtrs of copper wire and a wooden pole of 2 by 2 " of 10 feet long.
    It was a ladderline fed L vertical with a single wire radial.
    It worked great on 30-10 mtrs with about 6 dB loss on 40 mtrs against a full size GP.
    It was tuned with a simple MFJ949E at home and portable with a MFJ904H.
    Portable setup was 5 minutes with a 2 piece 8 feet long aluminium mast instead of the 2 x 2 wooden pole.
    My rotatable 2 x 5.5 mtr V-dipole for 20-10 with 40 and 30 mtrs with a bit of loss original prototype was build from 2 half wave CB verticals saved from scrap.
    total prototype costs $30

73 Jos

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The cheapest vertical antenna I can think of is a 1/4 wave on a band with lots of radial. Cheap...yes. Easy? No. You gotta an it from something...

6. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GAP Monobanders or their titan multibander

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

My first vertical was a 20M half wave wire supported by leftover construction scraps--water pipe, fence rail, and bamboo harvested from the yard!
    I now use trees to support my 80M top loaded wire vertical and 40M Bobtail curtain.

At one time I had a 40M wire vertical hanging off a tree but the elevated radials were too close to the ground to be a permanent antenna. I used it to work Asian stations on 40M. The hardest part of the world to me to work in terms of propagation.