ad: jbsims

QST archive on-line

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA9SVD, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an item of interest to many in this forum:

Yesterday, the ARRL announced that members now have access to the full archive of QST articles from 1915 through Dec. 2004. (.PDF format.)
  2. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a wonderful thing. Thank you, ARRL.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! That's excellent. It will certainly beat ordering reprints all the time (as reasonable as they are for members). (I have half a file cabinet of them over the decades).

I really recommend that every ham look at the older articles.....stuff from the thirties and forties when things were really hopping and new....especially antennas.

My kudos to the ARRL staff....that's a LOT of work transferring that all over to PDF.....maybe not as much work as microfiching...but STILL very time consuming. I hope their servers can handle the download traffic!

4. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent - I've already located a 1973 article I've been trying to find for years!
  5. K5TEN

K5TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good deal.

Who's going to turn this into a "ARRL must be hurting for members" bit again.... :rolleyes:

I have most of them digital already, but PDF is a bit easier (took me quite a while to convert a lot of stuff to pdf already!).

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, how dare they give too much value your your membership dues!

I suppose there might be some angry complaints from people who have tons of old magazines in their basement that are now worthless.

I've already read one article where I was going to order a reprint when I got a round tuit.

Seriously, this is one of the best things ARRL has ever done.
  8. KB1KIX

I still have over 76 years in paper. I like reading the dead tree versions over a coffee and a stogie.

Many, don't have the luxury and this is a good thing.

A waste? Hell no! Them old Q-STreets are great insulation. Don't know what the R-factor is, but keeps the shack nice and toasty.

9. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's keep this DIY related please

This is indeed good news for DIYers but this forum is not the place for ARRL debates. I trust nothing more needs to be said? Thanks Larry for bringing this to our attention.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  10. N9MOQ

N9MOQ Guest

. .
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  11. AB8RO

They used to have selected articles online but apparently now all are online. They also announced some time ago that they were discontinuing production of the old QST CDs because of OS compatibility issues.
  12. KB1KIX

You're not going insane.....

But there are A LOT more articles now. I've been playing around with it for a little bit now and there is a lot more content.

However, one file I clicked on was a mis-link (ended up on a technology article from a QRP article).

I like the "QRP Power" articles from awhile back.

Wish they didn't kill that column. Just noticed it a short time ago in some back issues and haven't seen where it stopped yet.

Great column.

13. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure they'll work out the bugs eventually, but in the meantime, you can search for that entire month, and with a bit of trial and error, find the correct page.

I was somewhat disappointed to see that the "station activities" section toward the back isn't scanned in its entirety. They only have the first page, so you can keep up with the activities of the Atlantic Division over the years, but not other areas.
  14. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've found something similar. I looked up all the articles by John Troster, W6ISQ/N6IQ; the first one I looked at was missing the last bit, probably because it was buried in the back.

To me this is just growing pains, and I'd guess there'll be an errata email address to send error reports to soon enough.
  15. WA9SVD

And now I can find the construction plans for that spark-gap transmitter I've always wanted!:eek::D
  16. WA9SVD

It's the WHOLE archive from 1915 to the end of 2004. Presumably, they have put the "QST" archive previously available on DVDs on-line, not just selected articles.
  17. WA9SVD

No offense, but I haven't seen a post by Glen yet...:confused:
  18. WA9SVD

Now, if they only do the same for QEX!;)
  19. AB8RO

My apologies Larry. I'll work on my internal lookup. For some reason I thought I remembered that WA9SVD=Glen, I'll edit the post to give you proper credit!
  20. WA9SVD

Glen would probably be near boiling point on THAT! :rolleyes:

Really, it WAS mostly in jest, and no offesne taken.

I think it (the QST archive) is a tremendous treasure trove and wealth of information that is finally available. I just hope many operators (newbies, OT's and OF's alike) will take advantage ot the technical expertise, as well as appreciating the evolution of technology over the last 9 + decades.)
    I hope to be able to continue to add constructive comments in the future. Good luck, and good work.!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.