ad: HamShirt-1

QSL cards from the late 1930s to early 1940's

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by VK6YSF, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
  1. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have put a collection of my grandfather, Les Miles's short-wave listening QSL cards from the late 1930s to early 1940's on my my web page and would be keen to hear from anyone that can give me some more information regarding the particular stations.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a great collection of old SWL cards! Very cool indeed.

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...OUTSTANDING !! Thanks for sharing.
  4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice! I've taken to referring to the capital of China as Chunking myself as I'm tired of the contilnual PC revision of the name.
  5. AC6AT

AC6AT Ham Member QRZ Page

In what universe is Chongqing the capital of China?
  6. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

The Nationalist Chiang Kai Shek government moved to Capital to Chungking (Old Spelling).
    After the Communist takeover in 1949 it was moved back to Peking, now, of course, called Beijing.

Chungking/Chongquing is a separate city from Peking/Beijing.
  7. AC6AT

Thank you; I was almost starting to question whether I had them confused all this time.

This "Freedom Fries" stuff does have its practical can blame a lot of things on the transition to the Pinyin standard of romanization (among other things, it was a giant headache for journalists, cartographers, and historians) but changing the capital of China isn't one of them. :)
  8. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like perusing collections of old Amateur Radio QSL cards, get the book "Hello World: A Life in Ham Radio" by Danny Gregory and Paul Sahre. It contains full color reproductions of all 369 QSLs found in a box at a yard sale -- from 70 years of Jerry Powell's ham career spanning his callsigns from 9DOG to WO2JW.

The authors drew out Jerrys story largely from the cards from his collection, the times, dates, and modes of operation, the periods of great activity and those of none. But a huge part of the story was all the people he met from around the world over seven decades of ham operation.

The book is available from Amazon and other fine book sellers.
  9. AC6AT

Sort of makes you think about how many of those boxes are never opened and end up in a landfill...sic transit gloria mundi and all that, but it still is a little sad. On that cheerful note, the book does look interesting.
  10. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

...and you never know from whence new stores of academic knowledge will spring. This book ("Hello World: A Life in Ham Radio") has already proven of great use to those studying typography used in foreign nations throughout the twentieth century. The full color reproductions of all those QSL cards is a faithful database of style, color arrangement, kerning, spacing, and all other details of the graphic representation of language. Yet another benefit of Amateur Radio to the world at large.
  11. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Gone for ever

I recall that my father had several boxes of my grandfathers QSL card in the garage. The only one ones that I have are the hand full of scanned copies that I thought to have a record of, these are the one on the web page. The rest are gone for ever, not something I don't want to think about too much.

Again if anyone has any additional information about the various station on the QSL cards I keen to hear.
  12. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

card is from 1939
    the Nationalist Government moved to Chungking
    because the Japanese Imperial Army was occupying Beijing

the Red Army was on the long march
    moving west to escape from the Nationalist Army
    most of the Red Army did not survive the march

great cards thanks for the posting
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.