qrz

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by W8JN, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it sounds like I got lucky or you all got screwed, I just sold a radio to a gentleman in Italy. He sent the funds Western Union, and I sent him the radio the day I recieved the funds. I sold him a Drake UV-3 with extras for $400.00 plus insurance, plus shipping. He spent just over $600.00 American funds. Pleasant experiance.
    For those amongst the ranks who scam I know a few of them also I just dont think it good practice to bash on the net, without an invite into the matter of the person.
    73's
    Chris Robinson

2. KC7CJS

KC7CJS Ham Member QRZ Page

This scam is known as the 419-Nigerian money laundering
    fraud, that has been going on for a long time. Many
    have fallen for these **** and have lost many $.
    Read about the latest on this:

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/news2002.htm

If this URL doesn't "click", copy/paste it, etc.

I have sent all these e-mails that I have received
    to the US Secret Service, as requested.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w8jn @ Jan. 27 2003,09:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you will receive  a request to buy your rig from overseas..  the person will indicate that &quot;a client&quot; in the usa owes the buyer a large sum of money.. to &quot;make things easy&quot; the &quot;client&quot; will send you the large &quot;cashiers check&quot; you will ship the rig or &quot;the client will &quot;pick it up&quot; and you &quot;western union the &quot;overpayment&quot; overseas, and since the &quot;client &quot; sent you a &quot;cashiers check&quot; you are safe..  the &quot;client&quot; never shows up for the rig, and the &quot;cashiers check&quot; is a forgery..  you are out the &quot;balance you sent&quot;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Paul, do you fall for ALL the scams? This one is as old as they come!

But please, let's not do stupid things because we're stupid enough to fall for scams.

Don't decline to do international business. Other hams are our brethren, after all.

I had someone approach me with this scam. Keeping the money simple, he said he'd send $100 for the rig, $100 for shipping, and $1800 for his freight forwarder, for a total of $2000. I was to forward $1800 to his freight forwarder. I told him the relationship with the freight forwarder was his matter. He could send me the money for the rig and shipping to the FF, but he had to arrange with the FF himself, paying them directly, and then send me the account number. Also, I said if he insisted on using the freight forwarder, he had to send me a PAPER MAIL letter authorizing me to ship the rig to the forwarder, instead of directly to the address shown on QRZ. He said that would not work, the freight forwarder would not &quot;open a bill&quot; until there was hardware to forward. I said OK, I'll do it your way, but I won't ship until your funds have cleared. He said no, I need the rig too soon. I said too bad, international deals are always slow. No surprise, he backed out of the deal.

Via my eBay stuff, I've sold about 50 items to hams in foreign countries. I always welcome the bids and am always willing to help them get on the air - it is hard for them to get gear sometimes, we US hams are very spoiled. I'm also very fortunate that because of the business I am in, I've been able to save them some money on shipping, by sending equipment with colleagues who were travelling abroad. That means I get to mess with all the customs, but the foreign hams have been happy to pay me $10 for doing the customs paperwork, and then only $5 or so for shipping from one point inside their country to another, instead of $50 to $100 for overseas shipping.

mb

4. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n8zux @ Mar. 15 2003,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG]  reference to the 419 scam is the US Seceret Service web site thats in regards to a e-mail by the tune of 30 Grand their site is.. Seceret Service Financial Crimes Division

scroll down a ways it's there, I had one at my old e-mail address, and dumped the server no names revealed, also reported to US Sec. Serv. at least they will have info. fwd. to Attorney General if he needs it for a case.

Well there are back to what is suppouesed to be posted here there are always a dishonest internet user, a person who gets probably away for taking a radio, I have had a personal experience years ago. learned a lesson.  NEVER TRUST ANYONE !!! [​IMG]

In God we trust all others cash![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Could you explain your second and third paragraphs? I don't understand them.

5. XV2PS

XV2PS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Ham is Ham, money is money.

When it comes to money deals without any reference on the dealers, everybody will be right to be carefull even suspicious.

It is up to you to fix the deal. Money secured on your account or cash in hands first, send goods after. If the other guy does not accept or tries another way, leave him. But if you accept, you might be wrong and then do not come to whine and snivel as it will show how stupid you were.

Today, people are still free to release their own money when they want (or have).

Last point, before to accuse all scams, be sure you know very well the system. So often I hear &quot;scam&quot; accusations just by ridiculous ignorance. That is not acceptable.

Pierre

6. XV2PS

XV2PS Ham Member QRZ Page

The &quot;you&quot; in my above post is of course not specific to anybody.... [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I think anyone dumb enuff to fall for these obvious scams deserves what they get (or don't get). Barnum had it right. TOM K8ERV

8. WB7ESV

WB7ESV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a couple of flakes to watch out for. If it wasn't for a Ham friend I probably would have fallen into the trap. I send gear to missionaries overseas for their use and when I received 2 e-mail responses to ads I placed, and from the way they worded the messages, I figured they were missionaries or associated with same. NOT. After my ham friend told me about the scams I asked them for their call letters and they just disapeared back under the rock they crawled out from. The flakes are: Deji Dacosta from Nigeria (italofor@yahoo.com) and Realmustangs from Holland (realmustangs@yahoo.de). If I had no feelings, I would take out a &quot;hit&quot; on them. Maybe if these &quot;Dorks&quot; are exposed it will discourage them from doing this. It's like the &quot;Amber Alert&quot; system, the more who know, will lookout for those who don't or can't.
    God bless America and God bless our troops.

73's,
    Dave WB7ESV

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys, quit bashing Nigeria. I have made a lot of money off these guys. They said my check was in the mail-----

TOM K8ERV

10. w5zzq

w5zzq Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing I do is ask questions and if they don't like all the questions - just don't deal with them. I to have gotten the foreign requests. All I do is delete them- don't fool with them at all. Just CONUS. You'll be a whole lot better off and happier in the end. Use your head - it's your equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.