qrz

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by W8JN, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8JN

W8JN Ham Member QRZ Page

you will receive a request to buy your rig from overseas.. the person will indicate that "a client" in the usa owes the buyer a large sum of money.. to "make things easy" the "client" will send you the large "cashiers check" you will ship the rig or "the client will "pick it up" and you "western union the "overpayment" overseas, and since the "client " sent you a "cashiers check" you are safe.. the "client" never shows up for the rig, and the "cashiers check" is a forgery.. you are out the "balance you sent"

2. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

That definitely stinks! Amazing how creative some of these losers are, almost as good as some of the rip off artists in this country.

My guidelines are to never sell to overseas. If I need the money that badly to go through all that hassle, I will take out a loan if I need some cash that bad.

Stick with selling CONUS. Easier and has enough risks as it is!

PS: I love the e-mails requesting you help some African national secure a deposit into your account! Hi hi.

3. N4SMB

N4SMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Paul/W8JN:

Thanks for the information. That's one scam I have not previously heard of. And since I'm on a selling spree right now, I might very well have bumbled into this scam.

I appreciate the warning.

73, steve/kf4qvv

4. N5OZQ

N5OZQ Banned QRZ Page

There are quite a number of instances lately where people have been trying (with some success) to extract goods and funds from people using forged financial 'instruments'. There has also been some evidence of an increase in the outright forgery of legimate currencies by offshore entities as of late.

That having been said, it absolutely boggles my mind why anyone would want to enter into any agreement involving anything but good ol' cash, goods, or certificates for funds that are drawn on a known US institution. The idea of involving a third party of unknown character in a deal with another 'stranger' makes it even harder for me to comprehend.

Seeme to me the old axiom of sticking with what we know applies here as it does in many places.

73'
    Tom  N5OZQ

5. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

In all my deals I don't ship the goods until I have the money from the cashed check in hand, no buts about it. If I am sending someone money, I never send it to a foreign adress and I always use a postal money order, which provides you with some protection.

6. wa2rqy

wa2rqy Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd have to be a real Moron to believe that scam [​IMG]
    Thats been around for years along with the Help(&#036[​IMG] needed in Zambia or something like that [​IMG]
    I get one or two a day!
    There are enough scams going on right here in the USA [​IMG]
    They want your CARs, EyEglasses, old light bulbs, used fireworks & HAM GEAR!
    They go nowhere to help no-one.
    You wud have had to be "had" to realize that "they are among us".
    Real easy insurance is:
    1-Sell nothing except with a M/O up front, postal M/O is no better than anything else, ask me how I know?
    2-Donate NOTHING, sell it your self, Take the Money & help someone in need by ByPassing all groups!
    3- Not nice to say, but trust no one these days as crooks abound!
    Gotta watch everything these days.
    73......Rich

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Look who talking scam, Rich. Do you remember K6OLE??? Do you remember Norm Wilmot?[​IMG] The amp you sold him? The fully operational AMP with nothing wrong with it? The old so perfect AMP in so oh perfact shape?  Look who is calling the kettle black, Rich. Scam artist indeed. Anybody that wants t hear this one, contact Norm. His email is good in QRZ. He'll be glad to give you the whole story with all copies of bills and emails.
    Cheers to you Mr. SCAM artist. In case anyone is interested. I am referring to WA2RQY, Rich in New York or also HVZAP.

8. N4SMB

N4SMB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hvzap @ Jan. 30 2003,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...Not nice to say, but trust no one these days as crooks abound!

Gotta watch everything these days.
    73......Rich[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I beg to differ with you. You are dead wrong to paint everyone with the same brush.

It must be pretty sad to be so cynical. Not everyone is dishonest. I'm not dishonest. I have sold equipment to several Hams via the QRZ website. I have always tried to give my buyers much more than their money's worth.

While it is true that some do not deserve trust, there are MANY who are worthy of trust. I think most reasonable people will agree.

steve/kf4qvv

9. K6OLE

K6OLE Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it was interesting that Rich (WA2RQY, RLUCCI 2098@ aol.com, hvzap or anything else he goes by) would have the brass testicles to write about &quot;SCAMS&quot; on the swap net.

I bought a IC-2KL from him in September and had a very bad experience. In my opinion the amp did not work when I received it as all I did was plug it into my IC751A with the cable he provided. I also used the IC AT-500 tuner. The light was burned out and protection light came on when I checked it out on 20 meters. All other bands worked perfectly. I immediately E-mailed him and asked for my money back or allow me to send it to Icom for repair. He refused to refund my money nor would he give me permission to send it for repair. What choice did I have? I sent it in. When the bill came I discounted it some as I had them check the 10 meter mod I had a friend install. They re-built the twenty meter section. I sent him the bill and he sent me a E-mail going on for a page or so as to why he was not responsible. He didn't like my &quot;TONE&quot;.

I have copies of all E-mails concerning the entire transaction. If you would like a copy let me know at k6ole@earthlink.net You can make up your own mind as to who is scamming who.

My son, the attorney (really is), says I could take him to court and probably win, but the cost would be more than it is worth. So about the only thing I can do is to warn others, provide information, and let folks make up their own mind.
    73's Norm K6OLE

10. moonunit

moonunit Guest

i posted some radios for sale and had someone named &quot;Mark Perry&quot; e-mail me to say he was interested. my asking price was $300.00 US. he wants to send me 300 for the radios, 300 for &quot;cleaning them up&quot; for his broker overseas and 3000 [yes 3k] for a total of $3600. i'm then supposed to forword the 3k to his shipper. thunk, thunk, thunk, WELL HELLO, McFly!!!, mama did'nt raise no 'stunod. at the very least it sounds like a money laundering scam. think i'll just put the old war wagon gently into 4-low reverse and gun it dudes!! [​IMG] n2rca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.