ad: elecraft

QRZ Visit to DX Engineering

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

While at the ARRL Centennial Convention in Hartford. CT. I accepted an invitation from Tim Duffy K3LR, the DX Engineering Chief Marketing Officer and General Manager, to visit the DX Engineering facility in Tallmadge, Ohio.

On July 23, we rolled into Summit Racing Equipment - the home of DX Engineering. The time went quickly, but we had the opportunity to visit with many of the DX Engineering people. We witnessed what goes on there that allows them to get all of those ham radio goodies we order delivered so fast.

[​IMG]
    DX Engineering has a showroom located inside the Summit Racing retail store. In there are some of the latest products on the amateur radio market. Visitors can pick up a phone and talk directly to a sales person, or have one of their highly experienced staff meet them in the showroom to discuss anything ham radio related.

[​IMG]

Located in the Summit Racing headquarters, the DX Engineering Customer Service team mans the phones, answers technical questions and takes orders. From there, the amazing processing system kicks in and the order is relayed at once to the huge warehouse. The parts are picked from the shelves, sent to the packing areas and then off they go via commercial shipping companies to your door step. All in one day. It is amazing to see how the order is processed through the facility and sent by computer control on a rail system to the packing and shipping areas. Web orders are processed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Both domestic and international orders are completed at web checkout and shipped daily. Most orders placed by 10:00 pm US Eastern time Monday thru Friday are shipped the same day.

[​IMG]

DX Engineering not only sells many brand name parts, they also they design and manufacture a multitude of unique DX Engineering and COMTEK parts right there in Tallmadge, Ohio. From coax cable assemblies using the latest manufacturing methods to highly technical components and systems for the amateur radio market – all made in the USA.

Also I had the opportunity to have an interview with Tim, K3LR to talk about QRZ.com. That video can be seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8PmsKmyGg&list=UU4V4B_mr1mYF5ycGQe_4Ytw

It was nice to see all the DX Engineering employees are really involved with ham radio. Everyone we met was an active ham radio operator. They even have a complete radio station set up for the DX Engineering Employees Radio Club (N8DXE). DX Engineering regularly supports important DXpeditions. It was obvious that they all enjoy working to provide quality components and products to the amateur radio community. Ham Radio – that’s what they do!

[​IMG]

Some of the DX Engineering team. From the left, Rick WA8TSI, Rod WN8R, Fred AA7BQ, Robin (Fred's XYL), Teri K8MNJ, Andy KC8YST, George K3GP, and Steve KC8YSU.

Below are some of the great photos from the DX Engineering HQ

[​IMG]
    Aaron KD8WHA in production using a precision coax cutter/stripper

[​IMG]
    Bryan N8OQQ picking customer orders for shipment in their vast warehouse. Everything is bar coded and located by computer.

[​IMG]
    Bryan prepares orders for shipment.

[​IMG]
    Antenna phasing controllers under construction

[​IMG]
    Their new ham equipment store with kiosk ordering.

Conclusion

Robin and I had a great time visiting the DX Engineering HQ. Our hosts were extremely friendly and eager to show us around. The first time you see a piece of DX Engineering gear, you can't help but notice the quality that goes into everything they make. I've seen a lot of amateur radio products over the years and I've seen none better in terms of construction and build quality. In addition, their product documentation is the absolute best. They have a great technical pubs staff (shout out to Tom, KB8UUZ) and even the simplest of devices is lavishly documented with photos, drawings, and clear, plain English explanations. They have a full time telephone support staff who are not only knowledgable but eager to solve any problem you might have with your DX Engineering purchase. When you're looking for solid, expertly designed, made-in-the-USA gear, DX Engineering is your choice!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. W0ULF

W0ULF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool! Thanks, Fred!

I heard once that DX Engineering used to be based in Oregon (Brownsville and ... Elmira or Venita, I think), once, many years ago. I have a large 6 element 10m beam with a Brownsville, Oregon address on the manual. If anyone has any information on DX Engineering's history (Especially the Oregon days and how it got to where is is now), I'd really appreciate it! w0ulf at hotmail.com

3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm.... I remember a DX Engineering in the 1970s that made speech clippers for Drake and possibly other brands. I had one with my TR4C, and it was very good. It did reduce the lifespan of those sweep-tube finals, though. They disappeared many tears ago, along with the end of hollow-state gear manufacturing. I didn't think that those fine folks in Tallmadge were the same company. Or are they?

4. W7KCN

W7KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had several nice antennas built by DXE. One time I had a ten meter Yagi on sawhorses in the back yard. Some thug came running through my yard and hit the antenna breaking it in a couple of places. DXE was so entertained by my description, they sent me replacement parts free. - John W7KCN

5. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Some amazing info regarding QRZ in the video.
    Started in 1993 it was one of the first 25,000 sites ever. There are over a BILLION websites now.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

DX ENGINEERING is an Excellent company!!
    But I bet they were SHOCKED when they got my order for 4 FEET of heavy gauge rotator wire! FOUR FEET!
    Cuz I was using it for a power cable for a Homebrew Project!
    Delivered Lightning fast and correctly. Perfect order!

7. W8FOP

W8FOP Ham Member QRZ Page

This looks like a first class company. The best part is that I'm located only about fifteen minutes away. I wasn't aware that DXE was associated with Summit Racing. I will now do business with DXE rather than drive to their competitor in Wickliffe, Ohio which is about an hour from me and tends to treat customers somewhat rude. Just as an example, myself and two other friends had just spent about 400.00 at the Wickliffe store and after the purchase I asked to use the restroom. I was told in a condescending manner that I could use the restroom down the street at McDonalds. After we left the store, all agreeing to never return, I went home and promptly ordered 3000.00 worth of gear from another supplier.

Great to know that DXE is close by and appears to be a "top shelf" company. I will spend my ham dollars there in the future. Thanks for the in depth and very informative company profile.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Over many years, I've purchased stuff from both DXE AND Summit Racing. The staff is VERY easy to deal with, and I've quickly received only top-shelf equipment and parts from them. Other companies wish they were as good.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC
    NHRA ET6201

9. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have ordered a ton of stuff from DX Engineering with never a complaint. Whatever a specialized piece of gear is needed you can count on either DX Engineering or Array Solutions to have it, build it or prototype it for you................Thanks also goes out to DX Engineering for their fantastic & routinely updated PRINTED catalog. These guys are not afraid to sacrifice a few trees for the contesting/DXing community. :)

Tom KCØW

10. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Interesting about the tie-in with Summit Racing, which has been a leading supplier to the racing community for many years.

Bill

11. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After seeing all the DX Engineering ads on Ham Nation I made my first purchase from them a few months ago. Was very pleased with the service. I will certainly be ordering from them again in the future. Great write-up and video Fred, thanks for sharing!

12. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Both are awesome to deal with. I love my Bilstein shocks from Summit Racing and ham stuff from DX Engineering.

13. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

DXE is my go to for antenna hardware and parts. Have one of their 43 foot verticals and it is one tough antenna having survived 90mph winds 4 times now plus 65mph winter storm winds that can last for days

14. N4TZN

N4TZN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job Fred.. They are an outstanding Company and I have ordered coax, beam ants. and few other items from them in the past and just currently bought ant. gear. Fast is the word of the day. Great ph. service and friendly customer service help. Tim, K3LR has an antenna farm that is unreal, and what an op. station, just go look at his videos.. Wow! Keep up the good work DX Eng. and tnx Fred for pics.
    Ken // N4TZN

15. W8ARR

W8ARR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have ordered LMR-400 coax from DX Engineering. This cable is superior to every other cable i have bought from other supplier. DX Engineering is the first place I go to when I need parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.