ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ Security Update: 2FA and Verified Users

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8VHL

K8VHL Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You got it. Thanks for the correction.

MI0GTA likes this.
  2. MI0GTA

MI0GTA Ham Member QRZ Page

We say, arse, ass and other delightful phrases here when something or someone is a pain in the derrière.. i'd get banned if I wrote them up here...

K8VHL likes this.
  3. MI0GTA

Thank you AJ4GQ... AUTHY worked ok and gave me the 2FA ok but still no sign of the VERIFIED TAB... i'll sign out and back in to see if it comes up but it might take a wee while... thanks again.. 73de MI0GTA / EI2IBB

4. W4QBQ

W4QBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wondering, doesn't any of the authentication methods require cellular phone service?

Authy uses Crypto.com. How can one use Crypto.com without cellular service? Therefore both options offered require cellular phone service.

Is one able to use 2FA without cellular phone service?

When one uses the cell phone option method does one have to submit drivers license photos and a photo of the applicant?

Thanks, JIM, W4QBQ

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Not what's being discussed here. The 2FA used by QRZ is based on RFC 6238, which is a Time-based One-Time Password algorithm (TOTP). All you need to know is the time to compute the value.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6238

6. K8VHL

Great! I think you'll like Authy. Good idea. Sometimes it takes two log ins and log outs. Then give it a day or so for the VERIFIED tag to re-appear. I'm not sure if that process is automatic or requires human intervention.If that fails, then go to support for help.

MI0GTA likes this.
  7. MI0GTA

I might need support to sort it...
    Its says on account when I go to it, click to verify your account and when I click the tab it says account verified but it still showing a BIG GREY X..
    I'll let support look, nothing I can do now anyway till then..
    Thank you again
    Stevie

W1MDM and K8VHL like this.
  8. K8VHL

You will want to read these threads to get up to speed. They will answer all of your questions and have helpful hints to get you through the process. Pay particular attention to posts by QRZ Administrators and Moderators.
    How to Become a Verified Member
    How to setup Two Factor Authentication w/o Cell Phone
    Verified Member Status Requirement Coming

9. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also mine state the same. Verified but not showing on my badge. WHY?

MI0GTA likes this.
  10. MI0GTA

K8VHL likes this.
  11. MI0GTA

Just as a by note.. I tried this... AGAIN...

I disabled and re-enabled 2FA only because I actually got GOOGLE AUTHENTICATOR to work on my android after it re-loaded.
    Made no immediate difference to getting the VERIFIED badge on my page again.
    Patience is a virtue I JUST WANT MY WEE GREEN BAGE BACK HAHAHAHA

12. KC0EM

KC0EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great idea. However, it illustrates the growing divide between cell phone users and those who must use a landline. I have to go 16 miles to get a reliable cell phone signal. Various neighbors and I have offered them land to put up a cell phone tower and every cell phone provider has turn us down because there are "too few customers." I see the various coverage maps the cell phone providers will show you and I have to laugh because each one shows that I am covered. This problem is going to increase when they go to 5G.

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

One possible solution is to go to "wifi calling", which is available with most carriers, but you have to have a compatible phone and a nearby wifi. Another solution would be a home based femtocell or something similar. These are usually available through the carrier, and will cover a typical home, or beyond. They usually require some sort of good internet connection.

N0TZU and AG5DB like this.
  14. K8VHL

You don't need a cell phone to use 2FA and to get Verified on QRZ, just your computer connected to the internet. There are a ton of posts on this subject in the Swapmeet Talk forum including this:
    Video: How to setup Two Factor Authentication w/o Cell Phone

MI0GTA likes this.
  15. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OR do we need to pay for subscription to get verified?

MI0GTA likes this.