ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ Morse Code Plaque Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Howdy folks,

I've been spending a lot of hours in the shop and have already shipped about two dozen copies of our Morse Code Plaque. I expect to be caught up on orders in the next day or so and wanted to take a moment to share how they are turning out since the pictures of the prototype were used. With the design finalized, they are coming out error-free and great looking.

I also wanted to mention that I'm making these myself for now in my home shop. I'm working with another ham who will soon partner with QRZ to share in the production so we can produce them all year long.

This first picture shows some of the carving detail up-close.

WB2COY.Plaque.Close.jpg

Next, the whole plaque. Note that all errors in Morse grammar errors have been corrected. Some were my fault (inverted the R) and others (dropped dots) where a software issue. All of these things have been resolved and the plaque is looking better than ever,
    WB2COY.Plaque.JPG

We're also shipping a few internationally and were shocked at the cost just to Canada. The plaque is 16" x 18" in size and ships in a cardboard flat that is 18x24. The package weighs just 3 pounds and the shipping to Canada by the cheapest means available on UPS was $40+. We haven't shipped any overseas yet but are hoping for some decent rates. So, for now shipping is still free for all USA addresses (Hawaii and Alaska are included for now), and for all non-USA addresses there is a $30 added shipping charge.

If you would like to order one, please visit https://ssl.qrz.com/plaques

It can take two or three weeks for delivery, owing to this being a one-man operation (me) and to the fact that each plaque takes 20 minutes of machine time to cut. Altogether I spend at least 30 minutes on each one. Also, I hope to post a "how its made" video soon that will show them being made.

P.S. If you've already received your plaque, please post a picture of it hanging in your shack here on QRZ :)

-fred

KS4TD, N4GST, IX1FIT and 2 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

I am still awaiting your acknowledgement of order and payment-- made 27 Feb on PAYPAL. Yesterday, I copied you on the transaction number.

Nothing acknowledged.

Please advise and thank you.

Chip W1YW

3. KB0FXK

KB0FXK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Fred, the plaques look awesome. Would there be a way to have the zero with the slash through it? Not that it's a big deal, I just think it looks better!

Thanks for making these, gonna be a great addition to the wallpaper in the shack!

Terry

K9PLG likes this.
  4. AA7BQ

Here's a great shack photo from W7SCG
    W7SCG_shack_b.jpg

N4GST, K2HAT, K9PLG and 2 others like this.
  5. AA7BQ

The program I'm using (Fusion 360) doesn't provide for that in it's font package. Sorry, I would add if possible.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

All is well:) Fred dropped me a note and my plaque is nearing shipment.

I urge anyone who is hesitating to order to just do it. Fred has nicely priced this high quality item and its really a badge of ham-dom.

Thanks Fred!

Chip W1YW

7. WB2COY

WB2COY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred,
    I am quite honored to see my Callsign so prominently displayed here.... Looks great!
    73, Bob WB2COY

KB2SMS likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks super-cool Bob!

9. AA7BQ

Here are the latest 3 copies and the machine that made them.

2993F04C-80FC-4460-9593-DF2D169CBD90.JPG

10. AA7BQ

Correction Chip - yours was sent yesterday via UPS. Let us know when you get it and post a photo if you can. -fred

N4GST likes this.
  11. N6KIA

N6KIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred,
    I gave my P.O. Box address when I ordered the plaque. Where I reside we don't get regular delivery like most, we must have a p o box and pick up our mail.
    I received notice of delivery for my plaque but it did not show up because UPS does not deliver to p o boxes. I called and got it straightened out for house delivery tomorrow.
    I thought you might ship USPS but I was mistaken. Just to let everyone know make sure to give street address so what happened here doesn't happen to you.
    Thanks for the quick making and shipping of the plaque.

N4GST likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Really cool that!

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure! Haven't decided yet whether to put it in my office at work, or in the shack....the shack overlooks a window so there is no wall to hang it there:-(

I will find a good place and get a great shot:)

Chip W1YW

14. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

These look really nice Fred. :)

15. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

The one has arrived for the Sun City ARC in El Paso, TX.

IMG_0221.JPG

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    Club call custodian

N4GST and AA7BQ like this.