ad: Schulman-1

QRZ Logbook Restored to Service

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOWT interface issue...

Uploaded a valid .p12 file and entered my LOTW password, QRZ shows my password as being successfully accepted. But when I go upload/download QRZ log to LOTW afterwards, it immediately fails and states the LOTW password is invalid.

That said, thanks for the faster drives supporting QRZ log - they are greatly appreciated.

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

This issue was fixed last night. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3. KT1TK

KT1TK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Report: KT1TK-20190209-0807 Very slow response of Logbook > Settings operation!

Regarding system response speed. I never really had any major speed issues so all the cool SSD etc upgrades haven't really affected me. It was always decent.

HOWEVER, one function that was previously very slow seems to have gotten even slower.
    Case in point: Whilst in the logbook and you click Settings to access the Import/Export/LoTW Download functions, it now takes 22-30 seconds for what seems to be some kind of client data web pulls to complete. Typically the status bar shows a message to the effect of "AWS or QRZ loading ..." You cannot click anything on the Settings page until that completes so its a PITA when you are updating LoTW multiple times in active sessions to see the latest confirmations, for example.

Steps referred to:
    1. Show QRZ Logbook
    2. Click Settings. Status bar shows shows "tranferring data from logbook.qrz.com" for 25-30 seconds.
    3. Only then can I clock Download from LoTW ... which only takes 5-10 seconds

My logbook only has 4,200 entries. It is confusing as to what can be taking that long to "transfer" to the client during that timeout. There is no logbook showing. No tables to update or populate. Just 25-30 seconds of head scratching before it lets you use the functions on the Settings page.

Hope that helps.
    TK

4. KT1TK

KT1TK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Report: KT1TK-20190209-0807 [Update] Slow Log.Settings start = Cause Found - Sort of!

The Short: QRZ client-side URL calls tying up client web exploit protection mechanisms with many, or slow, calls.

The Long: I opened my toolkit and traced the cause of the very slow start up of the Logbook > Settings option. It seems multiple (or slow) client-side URL calls are being made behind from the client - requests (and responses thereto) engage the gauntlets on one's malicious web exploit protections (Norton, McAfee, et cetera).

After disabling said protections, the average time for the Logbook > Settings screen to become usable dropped from 23 seconds to 6 seconds. A 75% reduction ... quite the change!

This is one of those things that has no ready solution. Disabling web web exploit protection is a quick but risky solution whereas re-coding the client side Ajax (or whatever) code to minimize and streamline web calls ain't a bed of roses, either.

I'm content to just wait 20-30 seconds with maximum client side protection. Personally, though, the hacker in me would inspect the client-side Settings.Open code block to see why it is making URL calls that consume so much time of the exploit guardians. For example, if I click on the slowest junk, high traffic, salacious, Russian sites (not to worry, I use a sand box, nose clip, and barf bag), "most" of those very slow sites with constipated client-side indecencies under the covers still fully paint within 3-10 seconds, ads included.

Based on the above thought, it seems that exploit guardians are not the largest roadblock but, rather, the high number (or slowness of) the client-side background URL poll, each of which crotch-kicks the exploit guardians. Seeing no screen updates of any kind during or after the Settings.Open time out, it begs the question of what background calls there are and what they are for, apart from simply loading the HTML for the page and a single Ajax-style request for action. Now, if the client-side code were polling the server for some finality semaphore to go green, that would explain things but be a very bad coding practice. A server-side push is the obvious and most efficient method. If beta tests found that client firewall issues prevented you from doing that, then check if you are polling faster than once per 1-3 sec. Doesn't have to be faster since the current speed without protection is 5-8 secs, and 2-3 client polls is all that's needed within that time frame.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found the area of the cause and will just wait 30 seconds to afford myself maximum protection.

Other than that, apart from sporadic short term unavailabilty (I assume for post-config tweak reboots), system is working well.

Good luck.
    TK

5. PB7RS

PB7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just added a contact to my log. It appears in my logbook when I click on my callsign (top right) and then "My logbook". But on my profile page, when I click on the tab "logbook" the newly added qso is not visible in the log. The tab lists the correct number of log entries but the list doesn't have the most recently added log entry listed.

Is this still an issue after the recent update?

1 person likes this.
  6. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just had to re-instate onto my QRZed page, a few of the images on my home page....
    It's as if the image server links were broken. I fixed this by locating them in QRZ's 'browser-server' folder, and re-ticked them. It's probably happened to plenty of other users ...

A total of FOUR of my sixteen images were missing, their placeholders only remaining.

Check?

7. K2RU

K2RU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PB7RS
    Ham Member
    QRZ Page

I just added a contact to my log. It appears in my logbook when I click on my callsign (top right) and then "My logbook". But on my profile page, when I click on the tab "logbook" the newly added qso is not visible in the log. The tab lists the correct number of log entries but the list doesn't have the most recently added log entry listed.

Is this still an issue after the recent update?

Same Question here. Is this the new 'normal'? The correct info does eventually (hours later~) show up in the Public Log, but haven't figured out what causes the delay or how long the delay lasts. Thank. I do appreciate the efforts and QRZ.com!