ad: CQMM-1

QRZ.COM Database via APRS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2FET, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good post.

I agree with you.

tim ab0wr

2. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried it yesterday and this morning. Got no reply. I'll have to check with the guy who runs the local I-gate and make sure it's configured to accept messages from that server.

3. W5AOX

W5AOX Ham Member QRZ Page

There has been a QRZ server available on APRS for some time already.  Try sending a message addressed to:
    SAQRZ
    Message text:  W5AOX

(or whatever call you're interested in)

Same format, same results... and it has been available for some time now.  Is this the same system, or another look-alike?

4. VE2FET

VE2FET Ham Member QRZ Page

Sending a message to DOQRZ with a callsing in the message will return to your APRS station information from QRZ.COM Database as the post pointed out.

SAQRZ does not. When you try both it is obvious.

DOQRZ is dynamically retrieving for you from the QRZ.COM Database the information about the callsign you are requesting info about, QSL Manager, Location/Grid (if any is defined for that ham), Email, etc...

Try it, best way to find out.

On a technical side again, for sure if you're not within RF digipeating distance of VE2FET-3 your packets need to reach APRS-IS via an I-Gate somewhere to be received by DOQRZ. The I-Gate should be configured for RF to APRS-IS and APRS-IS to RF to get back to you the replies. This is valid for all communications going on via APRS-IS (APRS Internet Services) and RF.

Again, don't hesitate to email me if you have questions, comments... ve2fet@arrl.net

73, Sylvain VE2FET
    info: http://www.ve2fet.com

PS for the 70mph while driving, or the 120km/h... depends who's at the wheel. But it works.

PPS Need an amateur from the ISS to do some DOQRZ at 1000km/h Interesting.

5. VE2FET

**More on the technical side**

1- If you are using UI-VIEW32. Please make sure that in your "Messages" window that the following Option IS NOT selected. Again, it must NOT be selected. See under the menu OPTIONS on the "Messages" window that "Use Default Paths For Acks" IS NOT SELECTED (NO TICK). This will tell UI-VIEW to use the same communiation path to send back the replies/Acknowledge to DOQRZ for each line received. This is also the best way to communicate with any one.

2- If you are using an APRS software where you have an AUTOMATIC-REPLY configured, it would be better to turn it off when using a system like DOQRZ that returns you information.

Your automatic replies will be received by DOQRZ and processed as a request for QRZ.COM information.

If you must have an autoreply, just turn it back "on" after you received all the information lines from DOQRZ.

Have fun using it.

73, Sylvain VE2FET
    http://www.ve2fet.com

6. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Useless? Well apparently you only played with it for a little bit. I find it quite useful for all types of situations. We have bike races here in Cochise county and it is perfect for keeping track of the different groups of riders. Also nice for getting wx warnings and chatting with other hams that use it. There are plenty of things to do on APRS and the DOQRZ option is just another tool added that makes it even more versatile.

Now what do you mean a waste of bandwidth? APRS uses only 1 freq in the 2m band. At least it is pretty much used by hams only unlike the waste of bandwidth called winlink. APRS is the most efficient use of the spectrum by far of any mode. Multiple uses can share the same freq all at the same time unlike voice, sstv, winlink, etc... Try getting 7 or 8 folks talking on a voice freq at the same time. I bet I can shove more information out faster than any of the modes I mentioned above so again I ask how it is a waste of bandwidth?

7. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for putting this out. I will definitely let all my local users know about this new and pretty neat feature.

8. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with this statement. It's basically a bunch of digi-peated beacons.

Back in the 70s all the way till 90's around here we ran NOS packages over AX.25 to support TCP/IP over the air. TCP/IP is the protocol of the internet, and makes transmissions routeable so they are not being repeated all over the place to places they don't need to go.

With a gateway station you can address a message to:
    lookup@qrz.com
    In the message body:
    lookup callsign1
    lookup callsign2

Worked just like what you're posting about, but in a more logical addressable fashion.

To me APRS can have it's place, but there is way to much hype associated with it.

9. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

wow, that is a lot for a 1200 baud channel
    it works, but certainly isn't something i would want people using often.

10. AE5PL

AE5PL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WHO-IS responded but the IGate near you did not gate the responses (or acks) to RF. This is most often caused by an out-of-date IGate that rejects the IS SSID.

Pete Loveall AE5PL

11. KC0YEF

KC0YEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it
    OR hate it

USE IT!

The software is great you can still use it in your car without the GPS data just set of a permanent location email away.
    Your activity still will be tracked but real time tracking is disabled.:) ??

I have used Xastir winlink and UI-viewDOS and UI-View 32, Ui-View is a great program and will continue to grow...
    Now if someone can figure how to use any map software and read any map...on it

12. KC0YEF

KC0YEF Ham Member QRZ Page

track

13. N9MXQ

N9MXQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you get the ads from qrz.com to go out via aprs?

I'm surprised that they let you use QRZ without them.

14. VE2FET

Hi. I'm sorry, you lost me. What is the question again? Did you try DOQRZ

73, Sylvain VE2FET
    http://www.ve2fet.com

PS: DOQRZ is using QRZ.COM data under the authorization from Fred AA7BQ.

15. N9MXQ

N9MXQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I've tried it. Think it's quite slick actually. Although I don't like the idea of email addresses being sent out like that..

Nothing is free, HRD was using QRZ for lookups, had to add a window to show all the advertisements. Seems to me that all things being equal the QRZ folks would want you to do the same.

Seems only fair..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.