ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8RLS

W8RLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GREAT IDEA BUT YOU SHUT DOWN MY LOGGING PROGRAM

I am a registered XML subscription member. I use LOG EQF 2.17. Has been working great until today. My membership expires 6/12. I no longer can access the site via the LOGEQF. States my subscription is expired or there is some sort of subscription problem. Could some one in QRZ help, please. Thank you (I guess), W8RLS, Ron

Even logged in it does not work. So much for the membership, which I have had throuhout the years. Can someone help!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. K9JP

K9JP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You to you Fred and all your QRZ staff. I really appreciate all that you give and do
    for us. Sincerely and 73, Jeff - K9JP

3. W5DDW

W5DDW Guest

Logger 32 XML Problems:
    As others have expressed, I'm now having issues getting data from my XML subscription. When accessing data from the XML look up program while running Logger 32, I get an error returned, "Javascript is an unexpected token. The expected token is 'or'. Line 16, position 20." No data is returned.

I understand that it is not your responsibility to fix third party software, but at least QRZ could keep XML inquiries consistent with the changes made and prior implementation of the XML look up.

I whole hardheartedly support your efforts and appreciate QRZ. I use it every day.

4. KB8VAO

KB8VAO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a platinum XML Subscriber and use LogWindow logging program. Today started to get Log-In Error, when I try to look up call sign.
    Error states: Exception: 'javascript' is an unexpected token.
    The expected token is "or". Line 16, position 20. Please help to resolve this issue.

Thanks es 73,
    de KB8VAO, Steve

5. W8RLS

DEMOTED FROM XML

NOW MY MEMBERSHIP HAS BEEN DEMOTED TO HAM MEMBER WITH 345 DAYS OF XML SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE LEFT.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have sent in a request to fix it through the support section

I will continue to support, but you also shut down DB programs that only utilized XML subcribers for auto load and have to sign in with QRZ passwords for the XML subscriber eg (WIN EQF 2.17)..

Ron

6. KB1JTE

KB1JTE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this policy makes a lot of sense and you provide a very value service to the Amateur Community. Thank you !!

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

THERE HAVE BEEN NO CHANGES TO QRZ XML

Ron,

The system maintains a "User Title" that is merely a decoration. There is a "title update" process that runs once a day to adjust everybody's titles according to their current subscriptions levels, etc.. The program occasionally makes a mistake, but these mistakes do not affect the actual subscription whatsoever. They are simply "titles" that decorate a callsign listing. I will look into this problem right away and make it right. Nobody has been "demoted".

Regarding the QRZ XML service, it bears repeating: There have been NO CHANGES to the QRZ XML system. For the record, the XML service uses a completely separate server code base and it doesn't even know about the lookup limits that are imposed on the HTML web users. The code was literally untouched by this policy change.

That said, we've received a number of reports from subscribers who tell us that suddenly their callbook programs have stopped working. The reason for this problem is that the programs that the subscribers have been using were not using XML! That's right, a number of programs out there, including HRD, offer stealth mode scraping in addition to XML compatibility. In some cases, the user simply hasn't configured the program with their QRZ username and password - this is common with HRD. In other cases, the user's logbook program was never compatible with XML in the first place and thus must be either fixed or discarded.

We can't fix those programs that depend on anonymous contact with QRZ. It is a requirement that in order to use our XML service, you must use a logging program that supports it. Please contact your logbook provider for additional info. You may also tell them to see the XML interface specification that we publish online at http://www.qrz.com/XML/current_spec.html

We will work with any software developer that needs help with a variety of resources including sample code.

8. W8RLS

The QRZ has corrected my membership demotion, but the QRZ supportedn logging program is still inop

9. W8RLS

Thanks Fred, Your staff corrected the status. WIN EQF only supported XML users for the database information. We had to signon (QRZ Account $ password)to get the detailed information. That is one of the programs your web page supports "Why to get QRZ.com membership"... Hopefully, we can correct the problems on the 3 rd parties you page promotes. I do not plan to change logging programs at this time.
    Again, thank you very much for the quick response, and I assume you are going to be rather busy the next few. Maybe upgrading to downloadables and XML is the way to go for now. 73s W8RLS, Ron S.

10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a good thing. Unfortunately though as usual the cheap self entitled everything for free in ham radio ham is also rearing it's ugly head.

11. VA3PID

VA3PID Ham Member QRZ Page

fldigi just stopped working for me, even though I have the login/password in the config section.

12. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the folks over at QTH.com are bumming....Hope they get with the program!!

13. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

XML Access - UPDATE

In an unrelated software change, A piece of code we recently installed to combat spam bots was causing some XML code to fail. We have changed our settings and this should clear up some of the XML access problems.

This wasn't a result of the new access limit policy, but rather a side effect of some countermeasures to stop piplbot (pipl.com) from bashing our site to the tune of 300,000+ lookups per day.

Our apologies to those affected. You should be OK now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  14. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

XML lookup with HRD working fine here. No problems at all.

............Bob

15. KT4LST

KT4LST Ham Member QRZ Page

do not like the part of blocking logging programs from getting info from qrz to automatically put in to contact information what the difference is
    between going on qrz to look up a call sign verse your logging program to go on qrz to look it up is beyond me all in all your still using qrz
    this change is unnecessary and the 150 look up ok ummm field day is right around the corner so you mean to tell me out of oh i dont know
    hundreds of thousands of ham operators you going to give the a 150 look ups not a good change in my book at all sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.