ad: ProAudio-1

QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, something in my post made me think :) Have you thought of having a "Common name" or "Known as" field for US hams who go by a name other than their formal name? I think it would be good for the Roberts, Williams, Fredericks, Lizs etc of the world. XML could include that field.

2. KK0DJ

KK0DJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Works for me Fred. Thanks for being pro-active and thinking of the ham in his shack enjoying his hobby.... appreciate it.

3. K4MIA

K4MIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea. There is no way someone needs more than 150 lookups a day. If you are contesting you would never have the lookup function on. Thanks for running QRZ, it is something hams could not live without.
    73 K4MIA

4. W4IW

W4IW Ham Member QRZ Page

My Mistake

CORRECTION!
    I was trying this on a different computer than the one I usually use and had imported a backup file. I had acquired a new vanity callsign in February and the backup must have had the old callsign in it. When I was checking things, I glanced at the callsign and focused on the password field (I reentered it to make sure it was correct). So after putting in my new callsign everything works the way it should.

5. K0CMA

K0CMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, what an interesting point of view some folks have. :confused:

I have been working on setting up computer logging in my shack and may have been back-dooring the system and never known it had this not come up. I can get around pretty good in computer land, however when it comes to truly understanding what it takes to bring a wealth of information to me such as QRZ I'm not really savvy. After reading through the thread and sorting out the ins and outs of the ACL Log logging program I'm testing out it all seemed pretty clear to me. I should be a subscriber and pay for such a great centrally located convenience that I use daily. Therefore, I subscribed this morning and began auto-filling out my logs 5 minutes later. Very slick, easy, and streamlined. Now if I can just get my mind to understand that we don't need to write all this stuff down still. hi hi

Thanks for the service you provide here Fred. It is greatly appreciated by the majority it seems. The nay-sayers would most likely not dig into their pockets to support anything and it looks like you educated a few of us and picked up more subscribers. Like everything in life, it seems that at least the positive eclipses the negative. Keep up the good work and thanks again!!!

6. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not always...

During last week's ARRL June VHF QSO Party, I enjoyed a couple of runs at around 100 Q's per hour and with each one I hit the QRZ button in HRD Logbook. I didn't necessarily need to while logging rapifire but I did. The exchange was callsign and grid square. I was not 'in' the contest per se' but rather collecting needed grids. Hitting the QRZ button filled in all of the blanks including their grid square and in the case of an odd grid square (portable or rover) I simply swapped it on the fly. Those operators whose grid couldn't be copied (and there were a couple) I didn't log them. One short-skip contact whose callsign I could copy but whose grid I couldn't copy came back later and was good copy and finally went in the log.

It would be interesting to hear from AA7BQ as to how the look-up rates go through the roof on contest weekends.

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    www.w4abc.com

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

John,

Interestingly, QRZ activity is usually very slow during the big contests. During last year's field day, it was quiet around here. It's my belief that most folks just copy the exchange during the contest and then go back and do log scrubbing later. Some of these post-activity "log checkers" as they are called, have been problematic in the past as many were written without regard to the load they placed on our servers. This doesn't apply to XML users, only to stealth mode programs. The XML server has never been overloaded.

8. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How many XML subscribers is there? Maybe that is why XML service has never been overloaded.

9. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I can appreciate the point, you'll need to add more to that than 8 cents a day.

If QRZ were the only ones with their hand out, sure. But figure local club dues, subscriptions to the the monthly ARRL catalog, donations to HRD, the purchase of MixW or other software (some QUITE expensive), QSL cards, postage, awards fees, classes, licenses, etc., this hobby can easily be 10x what QRZ.com asks for the subscription. Not including the radio, antenna, etc. Some folks save up for years to operate as they see fit.

I feel that the QRZ service is worth every dime asked for the subscription. But I also think that it's a great deal to get a USPS letter across country door-to-door for only 44 cents. Still, it doesn't mean I want to pay more.

I do see a trend here though. Those that pay, support the changes. Those that haven't, are complaining.

10. I2JJR

I2JJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Fred for all you and your staff do for us. I really appreciate it.
    73 de Augusto hb9tza / i2jjr

11. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood!

Thanks,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    www.w4abc.com

12. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the "$59.95" is a special price that includes the special "HAM radio discount" (available only by special request). ;)

13. N1EDF

N1EDF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hrd

Will HRD still work? with field day coming up this week, I will be needing this to work..

73, Don

14. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Two thumbs up for the staff of QRZ (dot) COM. it's about time someone does something about keyloggers, spambots and all of the other buggies that infest those of us who use the Internet legitimately.

Cheers for all you guys. 73!

15. M0SAZ

M0SAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems if software uses the XML feed then there should be no issue. I am sure if software that does scrape the pages from the HTML pages are still being supported/maintained, they will soon make the transition to the correct way of doing things.

Mike M0SAZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.