ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Assistant now available in Google Play

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. I0IJ

I0IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred,
    you did a great job !
    73esDX
    Tony, I0IJ

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Thanks for your report. I have confirmed the problem and am working on an update/fix.

For those who may be interested, the problem is most evident when you attempt to orient your device so that north is straight up on your display. Normal magnetic noise will cause the needle to waver a bit, perhaps +3 degrees. It's never perfectly still. The problem has to do with Zero crossing over the North marker, where the degrees value goes from 359 to zero to 1 in just a couple of ticks. There is a bug in the software that makes the scale move in the wrong direction, so that instead of moving a few degrees (past zero) to the new heading, it turns in the opposite direction than it should.

On my desk I have an older HTC Android phone that I use for testing. My desk faces South and for southerly headings, the problem does not occur. That's why I hadn't seen it before. When I rotate my phone so that the top of the screen faces exactly north, the problem resurfaces. The problem lies in the mathematical routine used to move the heading display.

73, -fred

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  3. KG5ZZB

KG5ZZB Ham Member QRZ Page

great work! Thanks for doing this!

4. NT4K

NT4K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been using the app for maybe a week. As with everything else QRZ, this app has enhanced my enjoyment of amateur radio. Excellent app! Well done.
    73 NT4K JC

5. NT4K

NT4K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the head-up... my Android 6 device reacts as you describe. Never noticed because it has been easier for me to orient toward the east. A truly fantastic App.
    73 NT4K JC

6. AI4GK

AI4GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Fred,

Nice job! I'd love to use the app, but I don't have an Android device. Neither do I have an Apple device. I'm using Windows 10 Mobile. I don't suppose there will *ever* be a QRZ app for that, eh?

Very 73,
    Dan AI4GK

7. EA3HOO

EA3HOO Ham Member QRZ Page

muy buena aplicacion gracias 73
    modest-ea3hoo

8. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Since Microsoft has abandoned Windows Phone, it seems redundant to try and create something for it.

9. AI4GK

AI4GK Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand. I guess I'll have to wait a couple years until my phone "craps out" and I get a new one. :rolleyes:

10. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't realize QRZ Droid had been updated until I went to use it today. The new app/version looks promising if I can ever get it to let me in. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my recent callsign change or just an issue with the app upgrade gone awry but it tells me my callsign/password is wrong when I open it, but nowhere can I find a way to re-enter it or fix it. I uninstalled it for now and will reboot my phone then reinstall it to see if that fixes it.

11. HP3AK

HP3AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly will not install. On Google Play it says that it is not compatible with my Android phone. Guess I'll stick with using the PC to access QRZ. 73, Jay, HP3AK

12. IU0KWX

IU0KWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred, the app is very useful, but the map doesn't work on my phone (HTC U Ultra). I read other users with the same problem... If you could fix it should be very appreciated!

73's

Alessandro / IU0KWX

13. AG7UF

AG7UF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see this in the play store anymore.. is it still available anywhere?

14. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's been replaced by the "Ham Callsigns" app. I have the QRZ Assistant app on my phone and it still works, but it's no longer supported or available in the Play store.
    See this thread, there is an apkpure link where you can download the old app, use at your own risk-
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/qrz-api-mobile-app.751603/

VE6PDB and VK5FUSE like this.
  15. AA3R

AA3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The app no longer works