ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ App for Android now in Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4EIA

K4EIA QRZ Lifetime Member #723 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Looks good on a Samsung 7 Edge running Android 7.0 Can't wait to see the finished product.

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Micro-Release v.25 is up and running. Please update your devices now.

This new release includes several suggestions made by Derek, G4SWY including:
    • New, shorter bearing value on main page (no decimal fractions)
    • Larger input box for entry of call signs
    • Ability to use the Android BACK button to dismiss dialog boxes (like About)
    • Removal of CQ Zone from the display if no cq zone is known for the call
    • A variety of bug fixes related to unexpected crashes
    Thanks for all your input. The App gets better with each release.

3. AA7BQ

This is the OLD QRZDroid App. To get the new app, you must join the Beta program by going to:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.qrz.database.callsign

K1SZO likes this.
  4. KC2RSJ

KC2RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there an app for apple devices?

5. AA7BQ

The Help page for the app has just been updated. No need to reload the app, just click on the menu and choose Help.

4X1ST likes this.
  6. AA7BQ

Yes, a program does exist however it is not maintained by QRZ. Still, it's the best thing available for Apple/IOS devices. From the App Store, search for "Callsign Search".

We hope to reach an agreement with the App's author to include new features that were introduced by QRZ Assistant.

Interestingly, there is ZERO crossover between apps written for Apple versus Android. Our app was written for the Android platform and to make it available for Apple/iOS it will require a complete new development effort, from scratch. Having just spent 2 months writing the Android app, I'm going to need a break before diving into Apple programming. :)

N0TZU and KC2RSJ like this.
  7. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

This app is working very well on my Motorola Moto E4. Exceeded my expectations. Nice job. No complaints or suggestions at this point.

8. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Phil, G0UUU, the app tells me you are in Scarborough and pinpoints you exactly on the map.
    73, Colin

9. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really pleased with the app on my Galaxy S7 running Android 7. It's fast, responsive, and the map has me exactly correctly in my driveway:)
    Great job, guys!
    Colin

10. N1NDN

N1NDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Loaded right up on my Google Pixel XL. Looks great, works great! Keep up the good work.

11. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

Been playing around with the app for a few days.....it's fast and works flawlessly.
    Would like a satellite (ie: Google Earth view) option for the map.....sometimes I like to zoom in to see where it's really pointing me.

12. KC2RSJ

KC2RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply. I have the app you mentioned, however it would be nice to see the additional features on this platform as well. Thanks again
    de Mike kc2rsj

13. VE3JMR

VE3JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know how to put that long URL into Playstore. I just search for app and press icon. I found QRZ Assistant dated 2013.

14. G0UUU

G0UUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Colin. Something weird going on. After updating, it still puts me in Arizona from my end.

73, Phil G0UUU.

15. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Phil,
    Go to Menu - Settings and switch off "Use GPS Location". Then some fields open where you can enter your location, either by 1) entering the coordinates, or 2) clicking on the Map icon to the right of the lat/long fields to open the map, and then zoom in and set the cursor to your home QTH. The error of incorrect "Reference Location" (where you want to measure from) on startup and the above method of correcting it, is mentioned in the now available Help section in Menu.

Good luck.

73 Frode LA6VQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.