ad: AbAuRe-1

QRZ App for Android now in Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

The new app absolutely requires login. Also, please note that "address withheld" records are also honored, just like on the website.

You must be using the old app. Check out the new version here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.qrz.database.callsign

K2NCC likes this.
  2. AA7BQ

New micro-version 24 just released a few moments ago. This release fixes more "first run" problems as well as a new Low Pass Filter to steady the compass.

Thank you for all of your comments. As of this moment we have 55 users testing the new App. This will be the last app update for today (I need a weekend off!)

-fred

K2NCC likes this.
  3. AA7BQ

Note to users of the old, pre-Assistant version of the app: The old app will become obsolete when the Beta program has completed. An update to the newer version will be required, but should be no problem through the Google Play store.

W5PFG likes this.
  4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, good to hear! Using an iPad, so it's whatever the iTunes store has, as I just got it this morning.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

What would be neat is to have a way to actually log your contact. That's one of the primary reasons why a call sign lookup takes place.

A lot of outdoor portable op's use an android phone because they are small, lightweight, portable and are easy to carry along. They are also preferred because they consume very little power unlike a tablet or a laptop computer. I can see this kind of app being very useful and popular for Field Day, SOTA activation, The HF man pack crowd or something similar.

There's a few Android loggers out there, but most are kind of a kludge to work with and there's usually no "lookup" capabilities built in, so you end up using an Android browser for the call sign lookup task, and then a separate logging app for the logging task. A lot of time consuming, switching between apps to make everything work.

Roll it all together and it will probably become an extremely useful and very popular app.

Something like a simple button to "log station" after a call sign lookup takes place. The contact could just go directly into the users online QRZ log, under the users call sign they logged into the app with. Later the user could download the log on a regular computer at home from the website or submit any new contacts made to LoTW using the feature already built into the website.

Anyways good work ! Installed it here with absolutely no problems at all. Using a middle of the road Android smartphone. HTC Desire model 510 - Android version 4.4.2 - Software version 1.11.506.8

Did a few call sign lookups and it's very responsive and works very quickly. I see it has a few data conservation features which is a really nice option to make things work quickly and saves on phone data and perhaps even battery power. I do really, really like the big compass! That feature alone is pretty awesome and has some very interesting potential possibilities to explore further for the typical outdoor op, or it may even become useful with google map integration for ISS and/or satellite work sometime down the road.

Very clean, nice and easy to use interface.

Enjoy the weekend and 73

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    KB0HAW, 4X1ST, KD2MIC and 2 others like this.
  6. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred-

I've been using the iPhone QRZ ios app for a while now on my "6s phone"and its been great until a few months ago. It only works while on wifi now, and does not work using mobile data. I've deleted and reloaded the app, but this did not fix the issue. Also, the app icon does not appear in my mobile data menu setup anymore. An iPhone soft reboot did not fix it either. Do you have an email for app support or any ideas? thanks, Eric

7. G0UUU

G0UUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the new app Fred.

One problem I've found is when I click 'show map' it puts me in Arizona.

Samsung Galaxy S7, running Android 7.0

Have sent an email.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  8. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are mapped in Scarborough, UK, with me. All of your listing looks just fine.

73 Frode LA6VQ

9. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

works great fred..thanks..

10. LA6VQ

Seems like the filter has calmed down the compass. Nothing more to ask. Thanks.

11. G4SWY/SK2023

G4SWY/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Lookup works once or maybe twice then 'Sorry, there was an error with that record'. Maybe you could put in a more exact diagnostic ?

Works again after shutting app down and restarting, then same message.

Samsung SM-G850F, Lollipop OS21

Looks good.

73 de G4SWY Derek +++

12. G0UUU

Thanks for the reply Frode. This is what I get......

[​IMG]

13. NV4C

NV4C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to joint the beta, but need to do so under an email address different from the one I use for my QRZ.com membership, etc. How can I do that?

Thanks and 73,

Ian Kahn, KM4IK

14. LA6VQ

Phil,
    Fred AA7BQ, the author of QRZ Assistant and QRZ editor, is also located in Arizona: Scottsdale, Maricopa county (DM43bq). Try to look up AA7BQ and check the distance and bearing, if any, to find out if you are somehow identified as AA7BQ.

My bearing to AA7BQ is 309.3 degrees and 5047.1 miles, while his bearing to me is 27.4 degrees and 8122.4 km. That is close enough to the bearing and distance you get, to be explained for example by the difference between grids of 4 and 6 characters, or the difference between the centre of a 6 character grid and the user supplied exact location within a 6 character grid.

73 Frode LA6VQ

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. G0UUU

Hi Frode,

Thanks for the reply.

From where I'm marked on the map (the outskirts of a place called Fort Thomas) my bearing to Fred is 294.3 degrees, with a distance of 119.5 miles.

73, Phil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.