ad: MLSons-1

QRZ App for Android now in Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Hooray! The updates to QRZ's Android App, formerly known as QRZDroid have been released and are available to those who are interested in trying it out. The app has a new name, now known as QRZ Assistant. There are a bunch of new features and a brand new look and feel that we're hoping our users will appreciate.

To opt-in to the Beta Test program, please go to: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.qrz.database.callsign

This release works on all Android phones having the Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.1) and later. This covers more than 97% of all Android phones out there.

We're still working on the program's help and other documentation, but for now the App is ready to explore. Here are a few screen shots of the new app.

Screenshot_1525287382-b.png
    Screenshot_B.b.jpg
    Screenshot_C.b.jpg

Give it a try and let us know what you think. Replies to assistant@qrz.com please!

73 -fred

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    EB1BSV, KB2HSH, N8QIO and 4 others like this.
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After accepting beta program and downloading, it crashes immediately upon opening. Samsung Galaxy S6. Android 7.0.

3. AA7BQ

Please just run it again. We are having an occasional “first run” problem that corrects itself immediately.

That’s why we’re beta testing and we really appreciate your report.

-fred

4. W5PFG

I've killed the task and tried a few times. I'll reboot my phone now and try.

I'm glad to see the Android app being updated. I know that it'll be hit once the kinks get worked out.

W1AAO likes this.
  5. W5PFG

Reboot didn't help.

Screenshot_20180504-214937.jpg

6. AA7BQ

We just uploaded a fix for the "first start" problem. Thanks again for your help.
    You should re-download the App from Google Play. The latest version is 22.

W5PFG likes this.
  7. W5PFG

Success!

Screenshot_20180504-215654.png

8. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

Works FB on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.....would prefer a dark screen instead of white, but that's just me.

I do like it much better than the former version.

K8JAD and W5PFG like this.
  9. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, Fred...I waited a little while this evening, to see if anyone else had went ahead and downloaded this, just to see how any users were progressing with the new (beta) testing on this app. I am actually quite impressed. I just downloaded the v22 as you had suggested to W5PFG, and wow...this is really cool :cool: So far this version seems stable on my Android, which was just purchased about 3 weeks ago, by my daughter, who, in turn, gave it to me (she was not "happy" with it). As the good book says, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" :) I will post if anything happens to go sideways in the next few days (hopefully not) Best 73 and TY all @ QRZ! Carl de NØCEL

W5PFG likes this.
  10. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred, I have used QRZDroid for some years on various Android phones, currently a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. The updated QRZ Assistant works like a charm. No issues at all, with a small area for possible improvement. Smooth download/update, opens on first attempt, all windows and links work and look good. The bearing compass "shakes" when the heading is not fixed to North, even when left on a table, and it shakes more than the phone's GPS compass from Melon Soft. The "shaking" compass may be something to look into. Otherwise a big improvement.

73 Frode LA6VQ

11. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Currently installed and working on my Sprint LG V20 - fantastic app and no issues so far

12. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FB on Galaxy Note 5. Good Job sir!

13. N0NOE

N0NOE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S7. Works like a charm! And I like it a lot! Well done!

K2NCC likes this.
  14. AA7BQ

I just pushed out v.23 after receiving a few overnight bug reports. No changes to functionality, just internal bug fixes.

15. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand why the 1st unrelated comment was deleted, but my inquiry to our privacy too?

Why doesn't the app require one to login, in order to mask the address, email, details, etc.?

Just as it does here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.