ad: MLSons-1

QRZ Announces New Image Database

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the Internet - privacy is something you do at home! :)

2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep innovating, growing, and evolving Fred (and crew). You and your work are appreciated!

Tom

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ is a great attribute to amateur radio thank you so much

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have thousands of pics on here, but it only finds one! I have uploaded most when I detail projects I built, and events I have been to, the Whole Hawaii set is here somewhere.Must all be lost in the thousands of pages. I know I have probably 20GB of pix on my HD, most of which have been posted here on QRZed

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HOLY MACKERAL!!! 39K pages??? I don't have enough time in the rest of my life to scroll through all those!!!

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have a few ...

7. W3MMM

I believe there are 4 main ways to load pictures here:
    - add them to our "QRZ" page
    - add them to our forums profile (like my avatar)
    - include them in a forum post (to include swapmeet)
    - to send them as part of a private message.

There are secondary ways an image might associate with me onQRZ.com:

- I quote an image in a forums post
    - an image is sent to me in a private message
    - an image is addded to a response to my own post.
    - I "like" a post with an image.

Plus maybe others.

Q for he QRZ staff: it seems right now only pics from my "QRZ page" are associated with my callsign in the database.

Will the other categories of pics be in this database? Will my call be associated with them?

Note this isn't a conspiracy/paranoia type request. Rather my hope would be that all images (except maybe PM messages) be associated with my call in the search, if possible, as I'd be happy to tag them. Mostly just curious though.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If your picture is sent in a private message and it shows up, That does not seem private to me.

KG5EXW likes this.
  9. W3MMM

There's no evidence this is happening. And even if it did, it would be extracted from the message and tossed into the pile of 39,000 pages of other pictures.

Having said that, I'm curious which pics are pulled and which are not. It seems that pics loaded to the forum pages are not added...but then again, they might be there and not associated with my callsign...AND...some forum pics are URLs from elsewhere and aren't in the database at all, as they aren't on the QRZ/AWS servers. So maybe they are. I'm just curious.

10. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea! This can be used as a valuable resource in terms of teaching amateur radio. :)

11. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Currently only images uploaded for use on biography pages are included. We are still evaluating the inclusion of other images, Forums images are stored in a very different way making this a little more complex. If we do include images from the forums in the future it would only be those uploaded to qrz (not linked from another source) and your callsign/username would be associated with them as the contributor just like these.

Images from the forums system are not currently included in the picture safari.

12. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Using an independent host has always worked out for me...
    • I'm not limited to using my images on only QRZ.
    • I have all 478 items (so far) categorized into albums/sets.
    • When I upload an image, smaller versions are automatically created.
    Bryan WA7PRC

13. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WOW !!!! That's brilliant from the Zed to bring us such great tools. Thank you so much no wonder that you guys are the NUMBER ONE AMATEUR RADIO website... KUDOS TO the Z :p:p:p

14. W3MMM

Makes sense and I thought this was the case.

Upthread, WA6MHZ (I think) was commenting how not all of his pics were in the Safari....and (I think) he was including forum posts in these as he's posted many pics that way.

For myself, I've posted some pics in the forums but some are "garbage"...not really radio related but like GIFs or funny pics or whatever. That, and all the for-sale pics, mean there is likely a lot of junk in that pile. So I can see where you might need to consider this.

Thanks as always!