ad: CQMM-1

QRZ Announces New Image Database

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1ZLE

N1ZLE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice, 39920 pages, That's a lot of pics!

2. N5HVG

N5HVG Ham Member QRZ Page

Only a few of my images made it into the database.
    Is there a way for me to add more that are already on my bio page??

3. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Your profile may be visited by the general public. You've already "indexed" your photos for the public by having them in your QRZ page and near the text you've added to that page. The only thing on your profile NOT available to the general public is your address - which ironically are just a few clicks away on the FCC site.

PicSafari doesn't change that or make your pictures more accessible to the public. What it does do it take all the pics that hams have loaded to this site and it makes those pics more usable/viewable/searchable to hams who use this site.

So in a way, you have your privacy concerns the opposite of what they should be. Loading pictures to your QRZ page is what makes them public AND associated with you and your callsign.

KG5EXW likes this.
  4. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, in case you don't believe me - Google has already indexed your photos and page info. QRZ never pretended to be for members only, except for the address piece.
    Note that each of these pics from Google (which also show on your QRZ page) will link back to your QRZ page:

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 2.53.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 2.52.44 PM.png

KG5EXW likes this.
  5. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Idea.

6. N6ALT

N6ALT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After 200 plus pages my eyes are bleeding. Never saw anything or anyone I recognized, but still a good way to waste time.

7. N6ALT

N6ALT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Man, I agree with you there, I still can't figure it out.

8. KU0O

KU0O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are looking for more ham radio images just do a search on Alamy www.alamy.com

9. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

real nice, so much for privacy

10. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! Very searchable. Room for development as time rolls by. Very GOOD first run on a Searchable Picture-dataBase.
    Some of mine were loaded too hi-rez , you could add a code block to reduce to some standard size, like 400x600, just for viewing.

11. K4KKQ

Yep! Seems like Once You Upload Your Pictures to the Internet ... then They Become PUBLIC Domain !
    Universally true on the InterNet.
    If you want privacy, then keep it at Home !
    If you want to search by NAME or ADDRESS, then do that. Good-Enough Search Engine.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  12. K4KKQ

Thanks for the REMINDER about the REAL WORLD .
    ... and that Real People Programmers are in charge.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  13. K4KKQ

Thanks for letting us know that there are real programmers behind this NEAT Picture-dataBASE.

14. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have looked at the My Pictures page for both of your accounts and I don't not see any misplaced aussy photos. If either of you can still see this I would love to track it down. Can you open a support ticket or email va7stv@qrz.com with the url of the misplaced image and if possible a screenshot or 2.

15. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to me that QRZ is just becoming a "dumbed down" website. My guess is that the images will eventually become search fodder on Google and drive traffic to the site. Other than that, it's of no, real value to most of us. Hey, I doubt it took up much valuable resources so, have fun!