ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Announces New Image Database

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I check QRZ.COM every morning before I make my first contact.

N4CPR and AF6LJ like this.
  2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Whoa John, you have it all wrong!

We created PicSafari to give folks something new to complain about. Otherwise, why else would we get comments about logbook confirmations, swap meet scammers, security, home page layouts, and callsign page editing all in the same post regarding a new picture collection that we've built. I should have been able to predict this response but alas, my imagination isn't vivid enough!

There are basically two kinds of websites: those which are active and growing, innovating, and constantly evolving, and then there are COBWEBS. Guess which one we strive to be.....

-fred

KG5EXW, KG5ILR, W4ABC and 9 others like this.
  3. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not the first time you have done something with the page and content ,whether it is negative or positive..........im not saying the new picsafari is bad. but sure there are a large number of images.....great and dandy. but i and maybe others out there share the same opinion that my time would be better spent learning new items and reading new content, as opposed to spending time looking at some pics.........it looks like you gathered all the images on the site and put them in a repository called picsafari...

4. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, I understand where you are coming from. Ya can't please everyone, all of the time. QRZ is my home page...I actually prefer it to my other home page which is the COBWEBS you refer to. I simply asked for a way t0 have my images opted out should I decide to upload them. I think you're a smart person, Fred.

I personally would like no see the return of the Search by Name feature. I have many friends I have lost track of. I remember their names, I do not remember their callsigns. The aircraft registration search was a nice feature also.

5. SM0NTK

SM0NTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool..and fun

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly hope complaining about spending too much time looking at pictures is some sort of joke otherwise the words "self control" come to mind.

7. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Currently Swapmeet Images, Avatars and images posted in the forums are not included.

KG5EXW, AF6LJ and K3XR like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the clarification.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is a good Deal Fred.
    Keep on innovating, keep this place interesting.
    Stay on the cutting edge...

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured as much, I did a short search to see what was included.

I am wondering what the official position is on inclusion of those images.
    I am neutral on the subject however I see a potential abuse mode as far as the swap meet forums are concerned.

11. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to thank Fred and the staff at QRZ for keeping the site interesting.

To those who immediately complained that, basically, Fred and Co. are not running the wbesite the way that you want, I would extend a cordial invitation to heve you go out and build your own website.

That way, it will all be done your way and hopefully to your satisfaction!

In the meantime, the rest of us will soldier on here!

KG5EXW and K0ZRK like this.
  12. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred !!!
    Somethings up with NEW SITE as this is what "I got !!!":
    An exception occurred: An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template ("Route 'biography::biography_view' does not exist.") in "page.twig" at line 86. in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Template.php on line 447

1. Twig_Template->displayWithErrorHandling() in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Template.php at line 403
    2. Twig_Template->display() in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Template.php at line 411
    3. Twig_Template->render() in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Environment.php at line 362
    4. Twig_Environment->render() in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/common/QRZCore.php at line 592
    5. QRZCore->renderPage() in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/common/QRZCore.php at line 1223
    6. QRZCore->routeRequest() in /c/ng/bin/htdocs/index.php at line 101

13. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My suggestion would be a floating menu bar or a button to shoot all the way to the top of the page otherwise you have to grab the sidebar and shoot up for the menu options at the top. I guess I could always press the back button. o_O

14. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like you I too turn on QRZ first thing in the morning and it stays on all day till I go bed.

K4KKQ likes this.
  15. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thomas,
    I wanted to take a second to let you know that you can still search the callsign database by name. If you see where it says "by Callsign" in the search box, you can click there and the dropdown menu will allow you to search instead "by name" as well as by county, grid, etc.

If you don't want your photos displayed on QRZ, then the way to opt out would be not to upload them to the site.

Jaime

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    K4KKQ, W4ABC and K3XR like this.