QRP transceiver

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by NM0L, Jan 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. NM0L

NM0L Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a one tube xtal control transceiver. Unfortunately the rec. is a regen. I find it impossible to make contact using the region. The only QSOs I have made were by using my Omni VI rec.
    Is there a CW circuit that will receive on the transmitter xtal freq?

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are sure the transmitter is actually transmitting, and the reciever is actually recieving, then the problem is that the regen is not tuned to zero beat with the transmitter. Essentially, the regen and the transmitter are not on exactly the same frequency. Obviously you know this, since you are asking about using the same crystal for both.

I've got a 6L6 transmitter and a 12AT7 regen reciever.... and I had the same problem until I learned to zero beat them together. Since your transmit frequency is for the most part fixed, you need to tune the regen freq exactly to it..... then call your CQ and listen for a response without changing the receive frequency.

3. NM0L

NM0L Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I will see if I can do that. However, the receiver, if I remember right, is grounded when the xmtr is on. I think a regular AM receiver would be better- not so 'broad'.

4. KK4NSF

the reciever might be grounded while tranmitting, so you need to find another way to align the TX/RX. The regular AM rx would not be as good, since it lacks an oscillator and thus can't properly render a CW signal. (Regens work fine if you take the time to make sure it's on the right frequency).

Instead, you can use a second transciever to learn the actual TX, then use the TX of the second radio as a signal generator to align your receiver.

5. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy

run regen rec with glow bug transmitters

most of the time you can't find your transmitter freq using a regen
    because it is overloaded / blocked by the transmitter
    ( my regen hear the transmitter stop to stop across the whole tuning range )

this is what i do
    use a aux receiver or transceiver not hooked to a antenna
    bit of coax or foot or two of wire will do

turn down rf gain fire up the transmitter
    find your transmit freq with the aux receiver/xceiver

then switch over antenna to regen receiver
    turn up the aux rec/xceiver gain
    tune the regen
    around till you hear the regen signal
    in the aux/xceiver

now your regen receiver is tuned to the same freq as the transmitter

see my regen glow lash up my qrz page

dit dit
    mac

KE5UFY and N7EKU like this.
  6. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

What mac said (I was just going to say that!)

I'm sure you know but -- make sure the regen control is set high enough so that it just breaks into oscillation.

Cheers and 73,

Mark.

7. KK4NSF

wait... i DID say that, just in fewer words ;)

8. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of... halfway anyway,

We were speaking of using the other receiver to check that BOTH the transmitter and regenerative receiver were on the same frequency (no need for another transmitter). You can do this with a regen, because regenerative receivers, when operating with the regeneration advanced far enough so that it oscillates, will transmit some of that on its antenna and this can be picked up by another receiver.

Mark.