QRP on 80m... what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K8AI, Jul 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it's not really the time of year to discuss QRP ops on 80m but I recently went back and forth with a fellow QRPer who says QRP on 80m is a futile attempt. I disagree. I say 80m, especially on a winter evening is quite an enjoyable band to operate. It's usually quiet and suitable propagation for low power level operation.

72 de Curt, K8AI

WA9UAA and N8AFT like this.
  2. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using a vertical over lotsa radials and worked some EU, AF, and SA stations on 80 last winter with 5w or less. Combination of strong stations, contesters, and vacationers in the
    Caribbean seem to be the best stations to call.
    Mike N3PM

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had good results on 80 CW QRP. I use a full size Delta Loop but the OCF80 also yields pretty good results.
    Worked France with one call during Field Day.

Barry

4. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

As if fighting noise is bad enough; fighting 80m STATIC is too fatiquing for me; especially with QRP transmitter.
    Speaking of 80 meters:

B.IT WKS OK ON 80M-HAD SOME PARASITICS BUT I GOT IN & SCREWED IT UP & NOW WANT TO UNLOAD IT.jpg
    As the flea marker seller said, "I Works on 80m - Had some parasitics but I got in and screwed it up.
    Now I want to unload it."

Layne AE1N

5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

K2PO [​IMG] K7WFM 3560.0 CW CQ [LoTW] 11 dB 13 wpm 1858z 08 Jul

Not bad using 5 watts and a low dipole--during the day.

N8AFT and K8AI like this.
  6. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP on 80/75 meters? You bet! You have to pick your operating times carefully. June through August is not an ideal time to be working low power on 80/75 but not impossible. Lots of QRN. But during the quiet days of winter, QRP on this band becomes a joy. I've had many a nice CW QRP ragchew then. I have even managed to work some DX with 80 meter CW QRP into Europe during fall and winter contests. And running my Yaesu FT-817 rig, I worked two stations in Ireland on 75 meter SSB in the DX window while my output was a tad under 5 watts. Both gave me reports of 4x6. My QTH is ideal for such because my backyard slopes down very steeply -- about 45 degrees -- it it levels out several hundred feet down. In all, the sloping terrain plus my antenna height equals about 200 feet which gave my low power signals a lot of extra zip.

KU4X and K8AI like this.
  7. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

80m is good at this time of the solar cycle for communication up to a few hundred km when 40m is unreliable.

Even during time of the year when there's a lot of static it can work for shorter contacts during daylight where its range and thus QRN is likely to be less.

2w 80m crystal controlled during a recent contest.

KC8YLT and K7WFM like this.
  8. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had good luck turning the pwr down on the IC9100 on 80M & 40M. Often get on after dark here and work lots using 80M or 40M inverted Vees'. 5W works fairly well and 2W sometimes takes a bit

N8AFT likes this.
  9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts?
    My Thoughts??!!
    Quite simply,

If it feels Good
    Do It :D
    (QRP That is)
    So many Modes/options
    so little time

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Past few evenings 80 has been Very Quiet with little storm activity in the 48 states, so don't let summer static keep you away.
    Besides, QRN is part and parcel of HF amateur radio! I always say; if you want no QRN then do FM fone.
    Welcome aboard! QRP is very rewarding and very effective but especially when you're using CW.
    See K3WWP's web site for the most excellent QRP CW info... John is 100% CW QRP year 'round, local and DX daily 365 a yr.

Learn Morse
    Do CW