QRP kits hall of fame

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by IZ1KSW, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. IZ1KSW

IZ1KSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone.
    If you had to put down a list of the best (non sdr) qrp kits you've built/used, what would you include in the list?

* I mean "best" in a broad sense: fun to build, good performance/price, etc..

73s, Gab - IZ1KSW

WW2PT likes this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Elecraft KX1 gets my vote. It’s the radio that got me back into both QRP and CW after starting out in the hobby with an HW-9.

K3XR, KA0HCP and IZ1KSW like this.
  3. W4CDO

W4CDO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The MFJ 9340K Cub 40 meter transceiver and the rest of that family. Easy build, good starter kit, and good performance.

Jerry W4CDO

IZ1KSW and WW2PT like this.
  4. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Heathkit HW7, 8 and 9. Im still using my 9 regularly and the 7 is stashed for emergencies. Im planning on adding the audio amp and reverse polarity kits from kc9on soon.

IZ1KSW, WW2PT and W4CDO like this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Emtech NW40.... It was a amazing radio. Designed by Roy Gregson W6EMT. The filtering Roy made was something. You could pick a weak CW signal from a pile of signals turn on his filtering and that signal was all you heard and it was loud and clear. It also made a great SWL back then. Roy was also fun to chat with on the phone.

IZ1KSW and WW2PT like this.
  6. WW2PT

My first ham rig was the HW-9 in 1985, a couple of years before I got around to taking the tests. Still have it. I had no idea what I was doing, but I managed to get it working well enough to make my first HF contacts with it.

Funny you mention reverse polarity. You’ll never guess what happened to my HW-9... lol! Need to open it up someday and see where the smoke leaked out.

IZ1KSW likes this.
  7. WW2PT

Another nominee: The NorCal 40. You might say that was the first Elecraft kit. Think about that when you see your first K4! :)

IZ1KSW likes this.
  8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wilderness radio Sierra.
    Fantastic in every respect.

WW2PT likes this.
  9. WW2PT

Sierra, NorCal40, KX1, K1... might as well just induct the NE602 chip into the Hall of Fame and cover all bases. :D

N8TGQ likes this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

PFR. Designed by Steve Weber. KD1JV

WW2PT likes this.