ad: NI4L-2

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI6J, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

If my neighbor fires up an arc welder, is the interference QRN or QRM? What about power line noise?
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is QRN.
  3. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, if I had to pick one or the other, it's QRN. But more properly, QRN is atmospherics (band noise, lightning noise), while QRM is an interfering signal from another radio transmitter. In that more strict sense, the arc welder and powerline noise are neither; I'd just call them that. "I am having terrible noise when I try to work DX while I'm welding." :)
  4. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No, actually QRN stands for interference caused by Nature ! QRM on the other hand is interference caused by Man

Note the difference between N and M !
  5. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

Welding is one activity that should not be combined with operating an amateur radio station. My wife immediately thought of one more (as if she needed another excuse :p ).
  6. AG6WT

AG6WT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd call it QRFN as in QR F***ing Neighbor.

...Having that problem now with the next door neighbor's plasma TV :mad:
  7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I consulted my up-to-date list of Q signals (this one says it was updated in '09, so you can't get more up-to-date than that):

According to this, "QRN" means, "Atmospherics are very strong."

So I would say that it's not "QRN".

"QRM", on the other hand, to me implies that the interference is coming from another intentional radiator of some kind.

IMHO, various forms of "line noise" should be referred to as "noise" rather than "QRN" or "QRM".

But it's an excellent question. It shares attributes of each. It sounds like QRN, but it has the important QRM attribute of being man made. In the interest of inclusive language, I suppose we ought to change the hame to QRH, since it is human-made.
  8. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Both examples are man-made...
    Hence QRM.
  9. K4KB

K4KB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this case it is QRN where the N, stands for Neighbor
  10. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

QRH is already used:
    As a question (QRH?): Does my frequency vary?
    As a statement (QRH): Your frequency varies.
  11. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

How about QSOB?

12. N4CR

N4CR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRW = Welding
    QRP = Plasma TV
    QRL = Power Line Noise
    QRB = BPL
    QRS = Something around here is making a godawful racket!

Never mind the convention. What we need here is invention! ;)
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  13. KD8GFC

KD8GFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Im not sure. Should I break out some popcorn for this thread ??
  14. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

How about:

15. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

How about QSOB?
    That's exactly what I've been calling it! Without the Q.
  16. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with AG3Y - 'M' is for man-made.

Actually, that welder is not much different from radio transmitters of the 19-teens and early 20's. The only difference is that spark-gaps were tuned so that most of the hash they generated happened near one frequency.

When the family would go out for our Sunday drives, when we passed a power station, my longtime ham dad would make a remark about the "QRM factory". I've always avoided living near 'QRM factories', though I know one DXer who lives a block from one and says he can't hear it.
  17. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a quarry right in the center of town, and of course the equipment is run with LOTS of electricity.

You cannot drive within a block of the transformer yard without your car radio being SWAMPED with 60 Hz hash !
  18. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

how about
    QIFAW interference from arc welder
    QRMFN from neighbor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.