ad: QSKLLC-1

QRN blip?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KP4SX, Apr 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any thoughts on possible sources?
    I see this mainly on the higher bands 20 and 17m. Only happens every so often but I caught it twice in a row tonight so I thought I'd take a screenshot and ask.
    I *think* I saw it once in combination with a jump on the s-meter on my IC-7410 but can't really be sure about that. It doesn't happen frequently enough to sit and watch (or listen) for it. It really doesn't seem like it bothers the copy on FT8 but I'm curious about it.
    NB-I was calling someone at the time so that's why you see 30 sec segments here.

blip.jpg

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Looks pretty darn minor to me.... o_O

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KP4SX

Curiosity, Dave.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I suspect you did.

If I were to guess, I would say that there was a significant noise pop (switch closing, motor starting, noisy light ballast coming on, etc.), and combined with a "slow" setting on your AGC, it caused the audio level to go down dramatically lower for a second, and then slowly recover.

I can get a similar effect if I use a "slow" AGC setting, and the A/C comes on.

That would cause the dip across the waterfall that you saw. If it happened. ;)

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI BILL,
    GREETINGS FROM THE FROZEN NORTH.

THIS LOOKS LIKE AN ASSIGNMENT FOR
    inspector clouseau.jpg

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THAT WONDERFUL
    WEATHER DOWN IN KP4 LAND

73 - K1LKP

6. KP4SX

I figured as much. Since I was watching tonight I did see a pop on the S 'meter' and the commensurate blank second on the waterfall. I'm in Fast AGC, btw.
    I have no idea what in my house would cause that, tho. I don't normally have the audio on speaker so I don't get to hear it.
    And thanks, Carmen :)

KK5JY likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anything with a relay or a switch can do that, especially if the load is substantial. If you are close to your neighbors, it could be in their houses, too. A/C, fridge, washing machine, the possibilities are endless. :D