QATAR OSCAR 100 Echolink or Remotehams ground station ?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC9SGV, Mar 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4AKV

KG4AKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Responding to the last two comments...

Well it wouldn't completely defeat the purpose because I'm sure the majority of QO-100 users wouldn't want to have a skype call with you.

What would be kind of ridiculous is if you had two users both going through this internet link to communicate over the transponder. It would be like cutting a land line or internet link in half and adding a radio link in between. Increasing complexity for no extra benefit. I guess you both get to feel cool operating QO-100 though.

At the very least I'm sure we will see QO-100 operators set up remote links to their stations for their exclusive use just like we see HF operators do today.

As for "closed repeaters," Karl-Arne is right, even over here in the US that is frowned upon and I don't think the FCC rules/regulations allow you to "own" any ham frequency/service.

2. KC9SGV

KC9SGV Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been done.
    Been there, done that.
    Uplink operator in the footprint was monitoring, hand on the kill switch.
    Hybrid duplex, monitoring the WebSDR here at the shack.
    Very little delay, if any.
    Very exciting to see the waterfall trace coming down a few hundred milliseconds after the PTT was hit here.
    Next, we will try to work this sat with RF only from here.
    That will be a feat at -15 deg elevation.
    Building hardware like crazy.
    The building is fun and systems so acquired could be used for terrestrial QSO's as well.
    Also in the near future...
    We need our own GEO sat with ham transponders over ITU 2 !
    KC9SGV

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 6:55 PM
  3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your money and efforts are better spent on building an EME system for 13 cm.

The power and antennas required to overcome an "earth bulge" of about 200 km height on microwave frequencies are tremendous, which anybody that has even just looked on planning of radio relay systems know.

A "back of the envelope" calculation gives that the troposcatter attenuation would end up in around 300 dB just to get to the edge of the footprint (about 3000 km).

To have 1200 km range on 900 MHz troposcatter with reliable signals took 100 kW transmitters and 40 m diameter antennas in the 1960s.

In comparison, an EME station on 13 cm that may work similarily sized stations on SSB can be made with a 4 m diameter dish and 200 W output.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you operate using the call sign of that station, or some form of your own call?

For many remote-operating situations, the technology more than supports it, but the regulatory framework isn't there yet. FCC doesn't permit reciprocal-operating authority for foreign hams to use US-based stations remotely, and that includes arrangements like CEPT, IARP, or even the 1950s Canada/USA treaty. RemoteHamRadio.com requires operators to have an FCC-issued license. This may not be required for other countries, but there may be restrictions like the use of that station's call sign for any activity (this is how RemoteHamRadio.com handles the use of its Haiti station - all must operate as HH2AA, not HH/call or HH2/call). This may not be the case in Europe, although some have written that the CEPT recommendations only cover operators physically present in those countries.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  5. KC9SGV

Thanks for the pointers.
    Good info.
    I have done lots of remote work when these systems came out back when.
    Traditionally, (about two years ago) operating via a remote station and just stating your call "operating remote via the so and so remote", was sufficient.
    Or, "remote via Echolink".
    If this has changed in the last two years (since I have been very active on remotes and Echolink), please let me know and give the reference.
    Different countries might have new takes on this now, but at least that was the case to Europe, Africa and Australia.
    My host used his call, I was his guest, with the Internet becoming an extension of the microphone cord.
    He was the control operator, physically present at the point where the RF was propagated from, ready to terminate the connection at will.
    KC9SGV

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 8:57 PM
  6. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

It hasn't changed, in terms of EchoLink, or with systems like D-Star repeaters and reflectors. You're going through a system near you, and from there your audio is connected to repeaters etc. in other places. At least with the FCC, having direct control of another station like you described is different than using EchoLink or D-Star repeaters/reflectors.

Remote Ham Radio is pretty clear on its licensing requirements, at least for the US-based stations:

http://www.remotehamradio.com/knowledge-base/what-license-is-required-for-rhr/

Examples of how operators are supposed to ID those stations, including the difference with their Haiti station, are described at:

http://www.remotehamradio.com/knowledge-base/how-to-id-while-operating-remote/

ARRL has also chimed in on this. Obviously focusing on operations at US-based stations:

http://www.arrl.org/contest-remote-station-operation

The link may include the word "contest", but this would also apply outside of contests.

That sounds like it would be an acceptable way of operating, similar to how it would be if you were sitting with him at his station. There is a control operator at the station, and that operator is using his call. I would expect he wouldn't have let you on the microphone, if his license conditions didn't allow for that.

73!

7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

But if you are using the host's call, what is the point? Again, there is ZERO technical challenge in doing this, nobody is questioning that. The whole challenge in sat ops is getting your RF up to the bird, and hearing whatever the bird spits back. Anything else is just a telebridge. ARISS does that on a monthly basis to a moving target....

K4BAD, WD9EWK and WE4B like this.
  8. KC9SGV

I agree.
    It is kind of pointless, unless you can use your own callsign.
    We will have to delve deeper into this.
    Patrick, I just realized we talk about two different websites.
    Remotehamradio.com (a commercial enterprise) as opposed to Remotehams.com, which is free of charge and run by volunteers who's donate their time and stations for the greater good.
    Although, I see the point of the links.
    Quite clear.

http://www.remotehams.com

Download the RCForb freeware, then see the almost 300 stations there.
    All over the world.

My satellite uplink station is there too.
    Some work needs to be done on it still.
    Maybe some satellite equipment challenged ham can use it on occasion when I am present.

KC9SGV

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:59 AM
  9. KC9SGV

My station:
    I need to be present, monitoring, and pointing the Arrow II antenna at the satellite by the Armstrong rotator
    Hopefully this will interest some hams into satellite operations.
    Please use responsibly.

http://www.remotehams.com/orb.html?id=3346

KC9SGV

10. KC9SGV