Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Try https://lcwo.net/ and contests. It helps me much.

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your military service in the past and for your current firefighter service.
    Americans like me owe their lives and freedom to guys like you. I salute you Sir.
    John
    K4AGO

KE0TNL likes this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned CW at 25wpm. When you learn at 5wpm you learn to count the dits and dahs. At 25 WPM you can't count them; you are forced to learn the sounds.

I think most people try to learn at 5 wpm and then speed up. That is difficult if not impossible for most people.
    John
    K4AGO

US7IGN and WN1MB like this.
  4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

answer

...when you receive QRS as much if not more than you send it.
    Dave @W7UUU doesn't know this (yet) but during his Heathkit SES I tried to reach him with my fist from inside 20 mi on 20m with 100w.
    Dave called my fist QRM and moved on.

5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm on 20 most days...... 14.060 drop by. 73 Rich

6. W9RAC

I have run across a few OP's who I can not even copy the call sign. After several attempts with regret I tell them...... "I can not copy your CW". Generally the next thing they send is perfect. So I'm not sure what's up. Maybe a sleep at the wheel or something. 73 Rich

7. W9RAC

Well for sure ON-AIR QSO's are far superior to computer training but the computer is better that nothing. A mix of the two, being heavy on-air is Ok for some practice. I would think you could conjure up someone on 20 m most days but I'm not really certain of your situation so I'm just guessing. 73 Rich

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He may be able to copy it on 20/40 at times. Unfortunately, those times are likely fewer these days than when the Sun was doing something. :(

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No i don't receive them often. I have downloaded them before and tried to learn from them, but never really got anywhere. Its like giving a 5 year old the complete works of Shakespeare and expecting them to write a Pulitzer prise winning novel. Words have meanings and just throwing words at someone with no context or explanation just seems counter productive to anyone wanting to learn a language. There is a reason why we teach kids to read with picture associations. We dont just throw word spaghetti at kids, we give them context and meaning and I find i need that context and meaning when copying morse. Without it, its just machine gun fire and my brain just hears noise.

If anyone here wanted to learn Italian how much do you think they would learn if i stood in front of them yelling Ciao il paesano , piacere di conoscerti amico mio. I mean I know what it means when I hear that because my Italian mate says it to me all the time and explained to me the meaning. No one would learn a thing, yet this is how some expect people to learn morse, by having someone yell at you in morse. No contect, no explanation, no meaning. This might be ok if you are an expert, but real people do not learn like that. I do not learn like that.

There was a slow morse rx practice net here for a while on 40m and I did try that a number of times while i could hear them. I would sit and listen and write down the letters i heard. Sometimes i formed words mostly it was a pile of rubbish. Same with other peoples qso's I listen to those and understand bits and pieces, but without some reference to compare back to, who knows if i am actually copying anything correctly. And I am certainly not learning words this way as some say i should be doing. Its just random crap with no meaning.

I know many here mean well, but sometimes i wonder if they remember what it is actually like to learn something from no existing base. And all this experting from a post poking fun at myself for having lost most of what I had worked so hard to achieve, because I had not used it in over 12 months.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    WZ7U likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

We love ya man!