Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3FEI

KB3FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried head copy once, unsuccessfully. It wasn't sharp enough to imprint the paper.

N1YR and VK4HAT like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a huge difference between "knowing the code" and being PROficient (capitalization intentional) with it.

W9RAC and K4AGO like this.
  3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm serious enough about it that I am on 20 Meters CW at this time. Listening, listening, listening to get back that aural response I once had. Not there yet, but I'm hearing letters and some words. K4NT- something is on now @ around 20+ WPM. I WILL get it back!

W9RAC, K4AGO and WN1MB like this.
  4. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't hesitate to use computer software if I was learning the code today. As it was, I learned years ago using a course on phonograph records. It went very well. I would have gotten an Instructograph paper tape machine if I could have afforded it. Morse software would be even better.

N2EY likes this.
  5. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every year I tell myself that I'm going to participate in the Straight Key activity on New Year's Eve. I think that it would be a great evening to ring out the trusty old J-38 and operate it at single digit speeds. I know that there are other old duffers out there who want to or are doing the same.... Unfortunately, I'm either out of town visiting our kids or at a party and under the wx the next day....

I don't operate much cw. I do however, listen to others on the band. Seems like very little hand based cw these days. No personality that only comes from a fist....

I know what you are thinking... "another crabby old timer"...

6. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to wait until Jan. 1st to dust off your straight key-- there is an entire club, SKCC, that uses straight keys, bugs & cooties for their everyday activity. It was founded after the SKN event in 2006: https://skccgroup.com/

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    WN1MB likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Three dihs is not three dots, which is where he is now. And we don't make infants learn to waterski to help them take their first step. ;)

8. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

That sir is the very key he should follow........ no better way, headphone and all. Everyday, everyday....everyday and some days twice or more. 73 Rich

W4NNF likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Rob, can you even get W1AW reliably in Queensland? I have trouble sometimes getting that signal here, mostly because of the giant rock right next to the location, coupled with a low angle antenna, makes W1AW seem like rare dx to me.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    W9RAC likes this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I note two good things here. You are making an effort with cw, and you are keeping a log. The elimination of the requirement for both of these basic essentials was bad for the hobby. Every ham who was never required to do either, but is doing both is taking a big step in the right direction. Encourage other to do so and you will be my hero. Keep up the good work.

WZ7U and WN1MB like this.