ad: GNOHF-1

Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MY favorite peeve is the operator that tunes-up for 2 or 3 minutes & THEN asks "QRL IMI(?)" - Grrrr :mad:

K3EY, K1OIK, WR2E and 2 others like this.
  2. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was slowly teaching myself CW and then "summer" happened. I already know this winter when it's -60 outside here on the frozen tundra and I have no good reason to go outside, then I'll really make some hay.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    K4AGO, WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What takes 3 mins to tune up. I fire up the radio and key it, if it needs it, it auto tunes and I am ready to go.

4. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A bad (or brand new) operator with a tube amp. I'm amazed sometimes as I see some of the "tune-ups" on the band scope... How do these amps survive. when I change bands on my AL-82 and set it from my band settings table, it takes less than 3 seconds to final polish the tune on CW.

The worst I've seen are SSB ops who don't have a key whistling or humming into the mic and trying to tune that way... Quite entertaining sometimes.

P.S. Brother HAT, i've seen enough of your posts to know that even if you ARE a crappy CW operator... You're still a CW operator... and that makes you ok by definition! So get back on the air and polish that turd up. Anybody with the bollocks to show off that ugly log clearly has nothing to fear from any prissy-man!

Go forth unabashedly!

K8BZ, KE8FWJ, N4BC and 4 others like this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some ops still use a Manual Tuner vs an Auto-Tuner ;) Just like some folks use a Macro for Morse,... & some use a Straight-Key / Bug :)
    You,... seem to have the desire, & THAT'S the most important thing. :D keep-on-keep-in'-on

dit dit

AC8UN, KE0TNL and VK4HAT like this.
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HAHAHAHA yeah you get it. Good post.

7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, I had my orig novice 2x3 call for 30 years (doesn't seem that long!)
    KB6LPM
    A couple of years ago by virtue of vanity call signs I decided to drop the "B" and became K6LPM
    I figure that I must sound pretty bad when I can't seem to send my own callsign without messing up. I don't even bother to .............. and resend anymore as that just makes it worse. I just have so much trouble on throwing out a proper number "6".
    Somehow I always seem to come up a bit short of 6, if ya know what I mean?! .... .. .... ..
    73 de Brian KBLPM

WZ7U, W5BIB and VK4HAT like this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you mean writing down dots and dashes......no, we don't.

KD1W, KE8FWJ, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to count or write down the number of "dots" and "dashes" and decoding them afterwards is a "sure-fire" way to delay learning the proper copying of Morse for a long time.

For some, indefinitely.

Aural Morse characters are sounds which should be decoded as a reflexive action and transferred, without conscious action, to the tip of the pencil or the keys of a typewriter.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

WN1MB, KP4SX, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  10. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately, there are Internet videos to teach us the proper way to copy code...

KB2SMS, W7CJD, KJ4VTH and 4 others like this.