Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am now ashamed of my rustiness on CW. Once I could copy it in my head, only writing down formal messages and QSO's. Well, a group
    (non-amateur) has started up a broadcast net on designated frequencies/channels. I did well to copy the first test messages:(:oops:! So now I have amission: to get back up to par on CW. Once upon a time, I had an absolute ball using my equipment and a buddy's Collins KW-1 transmitter. SO! I'll be back on W1AW and the designated frequency for the agency. I should kick myself for letting it get away from me (ouch, ouch, ouch, OUCH!)

K4AGO and VK4HAT like this.
  2. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

In a contest when a station calls CQ incessantly and does not leave enough time to listen for callers....

K4AGO likes this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i just think it's great that you're on the air making CW contacts and doing what you gotta do to make it work! Practice approaches perfection.. .

K4AGO, KE8FWJ and VK4HAT like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go for it. I don't know of anybody who has ever been hurt for weak code proficiency. On air practice is a zillion times better than code tapes and computer trainers. Pity that here in the US the Novice bands are gone.

K8BZ, KE8FWJ, KN1M and 2 others like this.
  5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was getting quite good, but then did nothing for like 12 months and rx suffered. 10mins of sending and tx was fine. I just need to get out a bit more and use it to improve it.

WZ7U and AC8UN like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Guilty too. [hangs head in shame]

VK4HAT likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not, it's the Straya way mate. Big brass ones indeed! :p

VK4HAT and K6LPM like this.
  8. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing brings that home like a guy with a two letter callsign calling CQ at 5-6 wpm on top of a weak DX signal on 14006 with a fist reminiscent of a brand spanking new novice.... it's like driving 25 down the fast lane of the interstate. I know that the op has an extra class license, and the right to be there, but PLEASE, there's a lot more QRS action up around 14050 or so. This didn't used to happen years ago, as people (all licensed operators) developed their chops within a prescribed band, and everybody learned together. Folks need to learn to walk before they enter a cross country steeplechase.

I know, things are different today, and I DO encourage all operators to give CW operating a shot, but use a little judgement about how and where you operate.

I'm sure this post will irritate some, but I just had to say it.

Cheers,

Gordo

K8BZ, WN1MB, N4BC and 4 others like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the ticket! If you use it, the speed (and accuracy) develop effortlessly.

K4AGO, K3XR and VK4HAT like this.
  10. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, most don't even try now. I say go for it! If anyone criticizes THEY are the LIDS!

K4AGO, KE8FWJ, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.