Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like both ideas, record yourself and also send to your own decoder application.
    I have never found a decoder application that worked too well. I think it is the variation in the different fists or "Morse Accent" from Op to Op. It definately seems much easier to send fast than recieve fast. Leaves alot to wonder how well my fast sending might be recieved.
    I am going to find a decoder app to brush up on my sending. What originally got me up to speed and passing my exams was getting on the air and using code. The motivator with getting on the air was a slick, trick, new fancy toy to play with... I put the old surplus J38 on a bookshelf and plugged in a fancy Bencher Iambic along with the optional built in electronic keyer board inside my rig. (Onboard electronic keyers with semi and full break-in were a fancy option on the newer latest greatest super rigs from Japan ,,,, wayyyy back in my day!) That got me on the air and really helped me get a good rhythm and cadence.
    I just recently acquired a second hand clone of a Bencher Iambic made by a Value Based exclusive ham radio accessory company. For some reason I am very rusty or this Iambic just doesn't seem to have very good action. I need to tear it apart and see if I can clean the contacts and pivot points maybe try a different spring ..... and of course practice!
    I am going to try sending to a decoder app and see if the machine can make sense of what I send?
    Dahdahditditdit ditditdahdahdah
    KBLPM ditditditsitditdit
    DOH!
    K6LPM
    Ditditditdit ditdit!

WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.