Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have this piece of eucalyptus i might actually use Eric. Cut on the diagonal and partially sanded back with a quick coat of oil to bring out the grain. I think it might actually do the job. Its going to take hours of sanding to get the side parallel as I don't have access to a thicknesser.

IMG_20190623_120420.jpg

WZ7U and KA0HCP like this.
  2. VK4HAT

Needs waxing now and a good buffing to make it shine.

IMG_20190623_131904.jpg

KP4SX, N5AL, WC5P and 1 other person like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You got a mighty purty key boah.

:p

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

A. When your QSO's "go better with Coca Cola"! :)

Untitled.jpg

Screen shot above from the 1959 movie: "On The Beach"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    W4NNF, K6LPM and VK4HAT like this.
  5. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some nice Burled walnut would be my vote or some sort of exotic and dense wood like Koa or Ebony , Zebrawood. That is a nice looking straight key, fer sure!

VK4HAT likes this.
  6. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Huck Bolt?
    Ya mean Rivet it?

7. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

My keying sounds like a dial tone.....pretty sure that's enough evidence.

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

HAHAHAHA

9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I had made 100's of contacts and QSO's with a J-38. I used a computer program as a constant guide to follow for the proper sounds I was looking to imitate. I found that only listing on-air one could pick up some bad sounding habits and not even be aware of. With the J-38 I was sending around 15 wpm or so. I thought I was doing great, I even got compliments on my CW. On day I ran across a savey OP, during the QSO" he ask me if I had ever recorded my CW and listened to it. He told me he had recorded his and it had helped him immensely. He did not mention it again. One day mostly out of boredom I record some of my CW on my phone to listen to. I was very disappointed. That was probably the best learning too I have ever found. I run across OP's who could use that lesson daily, mostly bug OP's but even keyer driven ones . I do not have the savvy to guide them to self improvement so I do not mention it. So........ if you want to know if your a crummy CW OP, record yourself. You just might learn something. If you have difficulty coping the CW you sent, even knowing what it is you can imagine what the other OP is experiencing. These days I use a keyer. 73 Rich

K6LPM and K1OIK like this.
  10. VK4HAT

This is good advice Rich. In some ways I was lucky that I had no expert to listen to me send because I ended up using a Morse decoder to get the sending timing right. I also send slow, like 10wpm to begin with, not 20wpm character 5wpm Farnsworth spacing. So my character spacing looked like words on the screen, n o t w o r d s. I have a nice straight key now, I will probably do the same with it, go slow, get timing right and a tight 3 to 1 then add speed.

WZ7U and W9RAC like this.